cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

spanning tree

carl_townshend
Spotlight
Spotlight

with spanning tree, do all switches use the fastest way back to the root and block any other paths ?

4 Replies 4

glen.grant
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

It will pick the lowest cost route back to the root and will block any paths that have loops in them . If your design has no built in loops no ports will be blocked .

If I have 2 distribution switches, each switch plugs into both of them, and 1 dist switch is the root, i gather all switches will have a direct connection to the root, and the other link that goes to the other dist switch will be blocked, is this right ?

yes you are correct.....

Narayan

Hi Carl,

not quite that way though (some friends of mine have had bad surprises there!)! Only the BridgeID decides which switch will be the root bridge. You can manipulate this by changing the switch priority (which is one of the components of the BridgeID).

Rule of thumb : STP is a delicate subject : it is worth re-reading your favorite STP book from A to Z before any manipulation!

HTH!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card