cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

spanning tree

carl_townshend
Spotlight
Spotlight

Hi all, can anyone clarify this for me, If I have say 2 vlans on my network, can spanning tree be forwarding on an uplink port say for vlan 2, and be blocking for vlan 3 ? and would the port light be showing as orange, or as green as its forwarding for one of the vlans ?

3 Replies 3

ahmet-saat
Level 1
Level 1

Yes you are right you can do this with spanning tree. This is basicly load balancing. check this out:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/optical/ps2006/products_tech_note09186a00805530d2.shtml

Orange and Green mean the line is 10Mb or 100 Mb...

Pls rate if it helps

how is this load balancing ? does spanning tree do blocking for one vlan and forwarding for one vlan by default ?

By default Spanning tree block one port and put other port in forwarding for all VLAN.

All it depends how did you configure your root bridge for that particular VLAN. If you have different root bridge for different VLAN then particular port can be in forwarding for one vlan and blocking for other.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: