cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

configuring 2 distribution switches

carl_townshend
Spotlight
Spotlight

Hi all, im implementing 2 distribution switches in my lan, they are both in seperate server room, is the best way to have each of my access switches connected to both dist switches, and would I also connect the 2 dist switches directly together ?

4 Replies 4

manishr
Level 1
Level 1

The best way would be to connect both the distribution switches directly and for redundancy you can go for etherchannel between them.Divide your access layer switches into two halfs and distribute to both the distribution layer switches. In case you want to have redundancy at the access layer level as well then cross connect all access layer switches with the distribution layer switches.

Carl,

Connect the 2 distribution switches on a layer 2 link or through a layer2 etherchannel.

Uplinks from each access switch must terminate on both the distribution switches for redundancy..

You can then configure HSRP / MHSRP for traffic load balancing as well

HTH, rate if it does

Narayan

how would i distribute so some links go to one and some to the other ? do you mean , making one dist switch root for vlan 1, and the 2nd dist switch root for vlan 2, and make secondary root/backup of each other ?

Yes you got that right

Narayan

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card