cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

New 2960 and 3570

cscisco_admin
Level 1
Level 1

I have purchased one 3750 and one 2960 switch for my network. I just need to connect them to my network and use them as normal switches at the moment. Do i have to configure any thing other than the ip address and default of the switches to use them?

Thankx!

8 Replies 8

Danilo Dy
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

What do you intend to do anyway? 3750 is capable of IP Routing that is if you purchase it with EMI. Can you provide more detail like post a network topology that you are planning to implement?

I have 11 offices in different cities that will be connected through Wireless, ADSL, and dial-up to my head office where i am going to install these switches to use an ERP Application. The ERP Concurrent Users are 30. 12 in Head office and others are remote. In head office i have almost 70 users including 12 ERP Users. I will have 3 or 4 vlans in my network.

But at the moment i don't have the connectivity for my branches that's why i just need to install these switches in head office for my local users so that they can connect to my internet and e-mail server.

Thankx!

Craig Balfour
Level 1
Level 1

If by "normal switches" you mean layer 2 switches without any VLAN trunking configuration, then yes, you don't normally need to configure anything. By default, the switch is configured with VLAN 1.

If you don't intend to manage the switch over the network you don't even need to configure an IP address and default gateway. The IP address and gateway are only used for management and are not involved in the switching of packets.

You will need to do more configuration if you plan to run the Catalyst 3750 as a layer 3 switch (i.e. doing routing) and if you intend to start using VLANs other than VLAN 1 (e.g. to create different subnets for different types of users).

sorry for delay. I have connected the switches as normal switches. I just want to know that there are two 10/100/1000 Lan Base Image ports in my switches. How should i connect my two swithes with each other using these ports. Should i connect port 1 to port 2 on another switch or 1 to 1 and 2 to 2?

Thankx!

Hi,

Anyway you can connect. There is no restriction as such.

Rate if it does,

Rgs,

but what is the best way? i used straight cable rather than cross to connect them.

thankx!

There is no best way. The switches have auto-mdix so will recognize cables made either way. As was suggested before you should look into L3 features of the 3750 else it is wasted money compared to a L2 switch.

adibenedetto18
Level 1
Level 1

Does your new switch have fiber uplinks? If so use them. I would suggest you trunk your uplinks if you have not done that already.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco