cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

NETWORK DESIGN HELP

avilt
Level 3
Level 3

I am in the process of preparing a network design. I can use only OSPF. I am wondering if Static Routes alone will meet my requirement. Please refer the attached diagram and kindly let me know experts opinions. I need good failover and load sharing at each location.

4 locations, location Z is connected to internet, so all the routers should point to Z as default gateway.

Thank You

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

royalblues
Level 10
Level 10

Friend,

You can always use static routes in the scenario but you need to have manula intervention everytime you want the link to fall back.

What you can do is to run OSPF on the LAN and redistribute your default route from the ASBR as a type1.

If an ISP link fails the ASBR would stop advertising the default to the campus.

This will ensure that from the LAN they take the best route to reach the ASBR and also ensure proper fallback to the other ASBR.

HTH, rate if it does

Narayan

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

royalblues
Level 10
Level 10

Friend,

You can always use static routes in the scenario but you need to have manula intervention everytime you want the link to fall back.

What you can do is to run OSPF on the LAN and redistribute your default route from the ASBR as a type1.

If an ISP link fails the ASBR would stop advertising the default to the campus.

This will ensure that from the LAN they take the best route to reach the ASBR and also ensure proper fallback to the other ASBR.

HTH, rate if it does

Narayan

How about the following config?

I will define 2 VRRP groups at Main office on the LAN segment of the routers and on the L3 switch I will define 2 default gateway pointing to VRRP IP's. I will have both fault tolerance and load sharing.

Then run OSPF on all the routers. Add default gateway on all the routers to point to Location Z.

hi,

do you have all cisco devices then go for the HSRP... and yes if you are using the two different group of VRRP/HSRP then you will have two different Virtual IP address, which is configured as default gateway of host... then yes configure the two static route pointing toward the vrrp/hsrp...

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card