Views
Helpful
Replies

Based on what should i do IOS Upgrade?

w_basheer
Level 1
Level 1

Dears;

Based on what should i upgrade my current IOS in my environment?

i know it's not necessary to be dated.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

scottmac
Level 10
Level 10

The most common reasons to update (different than an upgrade):

You've added a new device, with new protocols or new variations to an old protocol and you need the old stuff to be compatible.

You are adding a new module or blade to an existing device, and the new module or blade requires a newer version of IOS.

That one usually goes like this:

Question: " I put in a new 48 port Fast Ethernet POE blade in my 65xx and it's not showing up in the inventory or not being recognized by the IOS. What am I doing wrong / is this a bad blade?"

Answer: Check the compatibility matrix and load a version of (CatOS / IOS) that supports that hardware

Most common reasons to upgrade (move to an IOS / Firmware that offers more features):

You need the additional new features. For example, if you have IP-only software, and you need / want to use SSH ... SSH requires (used to require?) IP Plus w/ encryption feature set or better ... so you purchase the upGRADE license for the new IOS with the additional features.

Summary: Update: a newer verison of the same software (ala 12.4(2) --> 12.4(9))

Upgrade: IOS (could be the same train, or different train) with additonal feature set, for example, IP-only --> IP Advanced Services.

Updates are "free" with a SmartNet contract (or Cisco bug/vulnerability fix)

Upgrades (usually) cost additional.

Good Luck

Scott

View solution in original post

1 Reply 1

scottmac
Level 10
Level 10

The most common reasons to update (different than an upgrade):

You've added a new device, with new protocols or new variations to an old protocol and you need the old stuff to be compatible.

You are adding a new module or blade to an existing device, and the new module or blade requires a newer version of IOS.

That one usually goes like this:

Question: " I put in a new 48 port Fast Ethernet POE blade in my 65xx and it's not showing up in the inventory or not being recognized by the IOS. What am I doing wrong / is this a bad blade?"

Answer: Check the compatibility matrix and load a version of (CatOS / IOS) that supports that hardware

Most common reasons to upgrade (move to an IOS / Firmware that offers more features):

You need the additional new features. For example, if you have IP-only software, and you need / want to use SSH ... SSH requires (used to require?) IP Plus w/ encryption feature set or better ... so you purchase the upGRADE license for the new IOS with the additional features.

Summary: Update: a newer verison of the same software (ala 12.4(2) --> 12.4(9))

Upgrade: IOS (could be the same train, or different train) with additonal feature set, for example, IP-only --> IP Advanced Services.

Updates are "free" with a SmartNet contract (or Cisco bug/vulnerability fix)

Upgrades (usually) cost additional.

Good Luck

Scott

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card