cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

multiple providers

bennaceur_amel
Level 1
Level 1

In our institution we have two Internet providers. The first is a 8 Mo with fiber and the second is a 2 Mo satellite connection. We use a 2821 Cisco Router. We want to use the two connctions in parallel and we don't know how to do this. Could you please help us?

3 Replies 3

spremkumar
Level 9
Level 9

hi

I would suggest not to mix/mingle both the services which differs a lot in latency.

Better Keep the satellite as your backup for the fiber link instead of going on for combining both the links in parallel..

regds

miclacs13
Level 1
Level 1

hi bennaceur,

you can try to implement pbr (policy-based routing) to have some control on your multiple WAN connections.

worth a visit:

http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/732/Tech/plicy_wp.htm

best regards,

mike

amel

I agree with the suggestion from Edwin that trying to combine links with such different performance characteristics and latency can be problematic. One suggestion would be to configure a default route pointing at the higher capacity link and configure a floating static default route pointing at the lower capacity link.

But you asked how to share the links and the question deserves an answer. The easy way to do it is to configure two static default routes with one pointing to the high capacity link and one pointing to the lower capacity link.

I like the suggestion from Mike about using Policy Based Routing in a situation like this. And I have done that at a customer site that had a high capacity link and a lower capacity link. We configured it so that the high capacity link was the usual default outbound link for traffic and the lower capacity link was a backup link to use if the primary failed. We then configured PBR to identify traffic from certain source addresses and send them over the lower capacity link. It works quite well.

Let me point out that in doing this, PBR will take care of your outbound traffic. You would need to arrange something to get the return traffic on the proper link.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick
Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card