Replies

IPCC Express with High Availability

shivkumargadad
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

We have customer who purchased two servers for IPCC Express 4.x

installation with High Availability,

does any body have proper procedural document. for installation.

1. Is CRS A and CRS B both server will be having any connectivity

between them through crossover cable for redundancy.

2. While installing CRS B server does it going to use the same profile

name what CRS A had used,

3. Do i need to configure the same configuration again what i configured

in CRS A.

Regards,

Shivkumar

29 Replies 29

mmelbourne
Level 5
Level 5

I don't think a crossover cable between the spare pair of Ethernet ports is a supported configuration; it would also limit your options for Voice monitoring/recording. To avoid any issues with name resolution, it may be easier to just configure one interface, and let the replication occur over this. It's important to note that both servers must be in the same building and plugged into the same switch; effectively this is server resiliency, not network resiliency. We have two data centres separated by a resilient Gigabit Etherchannel VLAN trunk over dark fibre and siting the servers in different data centres wasn't possible. If the network becomes partitioned, then both servers could elect themselves as 'Master', and when the servers are brought back together, there is no mechanism to reconcile the databases.

Basically, you configure CRS A as you would normally - so you can test scripts, CAD (etc) before introducing the second node.

Ensure that both servers can ping each other and the CallManager(s) by name. If necessary add static entries to the hosts and lmhosts files. You install CRS B using the same profile name and the installer spots that it's the second node because all the cluster information, including the license details, are stored in LDAP (DCD). With IPCCX 4.0(5), I had to go back to CRS A and run the installer again to Update the node. MS SQL (Disk 4) needs to be installed on both nodes as a requirement for HA. You then go through the component activation stage on Node 2 and activate the required components.

A second set of CTI ports will be created when the CRS Engine component is activated. The CTI ports will use the next DN following on in the range used for the CTI ports on CRS A. Make sure these DNs don't overlap with any other numbers. Also, you'll need UCCX 4.0(5) if you want to have CTI ports with leading zeros.

You may need to check the default language on the CRS B after installation; I found it didn't inherit this from the CRS A, and so following failover it couldn't find any documents in the Repository and the scripts failed.

Also, when installing CRS on new boxes, build both using the OS Build CD/DVDs independently; don't try and short-cut the process by using a set of mirror disks to quickly build the base OS of the second server. This doesn't work as internal Computer ID values are identical which stops the Microsoft Distributed Transaction Co-ordinator from starting.

Please rate helpful posts.

Hi,

That above information provided was really helpful for me,

could you please tell me whether i need to configure the the Resource groups CSQ in CRS B server after CRS A configuration and testing.

Do i need to create different CTI ports and CTI RP on CRS B server, as what ports used in CRS A server.

If you have any cisco document on HA Installation that will be very much useful for me and will clear my all doubts.

REgards,

Shivkumar

You don't need to configure Resource Groups, Skills, CSQs (etc) on CRS B, as all this information is stored in LDAP and imported into CRS B at installation time.

Only different CTI ports are required on CRS B which are created during component activation on CRS B. Differnet CTI RPs are not required as these are controlled by the active CRS Engine.

There isn't an HA installation/best practice document which I do think is an omission, as it would be good to have an understanding of the failover architecture and behaviour under different failure scenarios.

The UCCX 4.0 SRND is here:

http://www.cisco.com/application/pdf/en/us/guest/products/ps1846/c1609/cdccont_0900aecd80331ee7.pdf

Hi,

Thanks for the useful information provided,

i am cleared of my doubts,

only and last question,

do i need to install SQL after os installation or after CRS installation.

Regards,

Shivkumar

CRS is installed after the main CRS installation. If I recall, there's a tick box to elect to install MS SQL2k as part of the component selection when installing CRS. However, it can be manually installed afterwards.

Note that the autorun on the MS SQL2k CD will stop the database on the CRS server, even before you've clicked the Install button to proceed with the installation!

Please rate useful posts!

Hi,

I'm in the process of upgrading and I want to have HA as well. Actually, we have IPCC 3.5(4) on one server and we want to upgrade to 4.0(5) and eventually add a server for redundancy.

In the SRND, it says that "Both servers must be collocated in the same building with the CallManager nodes running the CTI managers"

We have a CCM cluster over our WAN and I have the Pub as the primary CTI manager and one Sub as the backup CTI Manager, but they're in a different building and of course, different vlans.

Can I change the CTI managers in my cluster to make another Sub (located in the same building as the Pub) as the backup CTI ? If so, how do I do that, without having huge problems ? Or do I leave the CTI Managers like this ?

Thank you very much and your post was very helpful!

I suppose this would depend on the bandwidth and latency across the WAN. Our CallManagers running the CTI Manager are in different buildings (but the same VLAN, with effectively LAN characteristics). You can choose which CTI Managers are used, by changing the servers specified in the JTAPI Provider configuration in CRS AppAdmin. The first server in the list is used; if that is unavailable CRS will register the CTI ports and RPs with the next CTI Manager server in the list.

An upgrade from 3.5(3) is what we did, and the actual upgrade itself went fairly smoothly. We did debate the virtues of an upgrade versus a clean install, but we didn't want to lose historical data, so an upgrade was the only real option.

You do need to revisit your scripts and modify any which access files (e.g. XML files and dynamic prompts) directly. These files are now located in the Repository, which is replicated through the SQL2k Publisher/Subscriber operation.

Apart from that, all agents, Resources, CSQs, Skills (etc) are migrated. The CTI ports and RPs get recreated because in UCCX 4.0 any JTAPI configuration is performed through CRS AppAdmin, not in CallManager. Although new phones still need to be manually associated with the RMJTAPI user. The upgrade uses the existing RMJTAPI user, but creates new users for the JTAPI Provider.

The upgrade process is quite time consuming as the CRS boxes need to be re-imaged in 4.0(5) and effectively the configuration is restored using BARS during the Restore process. The process is well documented, and the use of BARS and the Recovery process itself become clearer when you undertake the upgrade.

Please rate helpful posts.

Hi there,

I just installed a CRS B (IPCCX4.0(5)). It seems can become active if the active CRS is down. My question is as following:

Do I need to run the installer in CRS A?

Is this the first CRS CD?

Do I need to choose "Install" or "Repair" when run the installer?

Will that cause any problem if I do not run installer in CRS A?

Thanks

When I installed the second node, towards the end of the installation a "Synchronise Servers" message appeared, which stated to re-run the installer on Node A.

The node appeared as invalid in AppAdmin until this was done. When the installer was run on Node A, the only installation option was "Update Node". Install or Repair were not available.

The installer should autorun when Disk 1 is inserted.

Thanks,

I did not get this kind of message. Also the failover seems working for the standby server. Maybe a different version of IPCCX.

Hi,

I have installed CRS A server installed SQL and restarted then run setup as cluster.

and uploaded the license.and activated the CRSengine and all other components.

and after installing CRS B server installed SQL message appeared as synchronising

then setup run in server setup mode. and it didn't asked me to put the license, and when i selected the componenets like CRS engine its giving me an error, attached is the error.

It had took all the details like script jtapi rmuser, and csq resource group details,

but CRS Engine is not showing me in Control center, and the second attachment show the component activation for CRSB where CRS engine is unchecked, when i try to activate i am getting error shows in 1st attachement.

Please get back to me, is it because of license reason,

Please get back to me some body its very urgent for me.

Regards,

Shiv

attached i the error messges i am getting when i try to activate the CRSengine on CRS B server.

Do you have an HA licence installed?

Are there any errors in the MADM/MIVR/MCVD log files?

I dont know whether the license we have is for HA, how to verify whether the license consist of HA.

and where to find MADM and MIVR, MCVD log files.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: