cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Multicast flooding

javier.r.z
Level 1
Level 1

Is it possible for both a 2950 switch attached to a 3700 router to restrict multicast flooding? The switch has IGMP Snooping enabled and the router has RGMP enabled, but not the switch, since it doesn?t support it. I don?t want all router and switch ports flooded with traffic. Any suggestions?

2 Replies 2

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi

All switch ports on the 2950 should not be flooded with the multicast traffic if you have IGMP snooping turned on on the 2950. Only those ports with endpoints that register for the multicast group(s) should receive the packets.

What is the topology of your network ?

HTH

Jon

Hello, thanks for the quick answer!

I'm aware that the switch will not be flooded with the multicast traffic but the router needs RGMP to be enabled in both the switch and the router for it not to be flooded. The problem is that our switches dont support RGMP and I wanted to know if there is another solution that I can implement. We have a mixed topology.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card