Views
Helpful
Replies

WCS and removing old or fault AP's

koeppend
Level 4
Level 4

Hi all

This may seem like a real newb question but its got me boggled.

I have had a number of 1131AG go "missing" or go faulty for what ever reason from a construction site where I'm rolling out a new wireless network.

Problem was that I had already allowed WCS to import these AP's and now they are in the database but not physically in my network anymore, thus chewing up licensing.

How do I remove AP's mac addresses or the registration record in WCS if I'm too replace the faulty, old or missing AP's with newer models or replacements.

Regards

Dale

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Rob Huffman
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Dale,

We aren't using the WCS yet (but we soon will be) so I thought this was a pretty interesting question :)

I can see why this has you boggled, I did some serious reading/searching for this answer and I'm still not sure. Can you try the following method to delete and perhaps even try the Copy/Replace function;

Configure All Access Points

Use Configure > Access Points to access this page.

This page allows you to view a summary of all access points in the Cisco WCS database. It also allows you to add third-party access points, and remove selected access points.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Note There is no need to add access points to the Cisco WCS database. The operating system software automatically detects and adds an access point to the Cisco WCS database as it associates with existing controllers in the Cisco WCS database.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The data area of this page contains a table with the following columns:

Selection Check box: Used to remove access points.

AP Name: This is the name assigned to the access point. Click a list item for details about the access point. Refer to Editing Devices.

Radio: Protocol of the Cisco Radio is either 802.11a, 802.11b or 802.11g. Click a list item for details about the Cisco Radio. Refer to Monitor Access Points > > .

Map Location: Unassigned or location on a map of the location of the access point.

Controller: IP Address of the controller to which this access point is attached.

Port: The access point is connected to this controller port.

Oper Status: Displays the operational status of the Cisco WLAN Solution device, either Up or Down.

Alarm Status: A colored dot indicating Up (green), Alarm (yellow) or Down (red).

Select a command drop-down list

To add a third-party (foreign) access point, select the command Add Foreign AP and click GO. Refer to Configure Add Foreign AP.

Copy and Replace AP: This allows you to copy the configuration from one access point to another. Refer to Configure > All Access Points > Copy to AP.

To remove an access point, select the command Remove APs and Click GO.

Note Even if you had removed an access point from the system, it will appear in the All Access Point list. You have to manually remove them using the Remove APs command. This is done so that the RF data is not lost if you had removed the access point temporarily.

From this WCS doc;

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps6305/products_configuration_guide_chapter09186a00805c52a3.html#wp1060317

Hope this helps!

Rob

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Rob Huffman
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Dale,

We aren't using the WCS yet (but we soon will be) so I thought this was a pretty interesting question :)

I can see why this has you boggled, I did some serious reading/searching for this answer and I'm still not sure. Can you try the following method to delete and perhaps even try the Copy/Replace function;

Configure All Access Points

Use Configure > Access Points to access this page.

This page allows you to view a summary of all access points in the Cisco WCS database. It also allows you to add third-party access points, and remove selected access points.

Note There is no need to add access points to the Cisco WCS database. The operating system software automatically detects and adds an access point to the Cisco WCS database as it associates with existing controllers in the Cisco WCS database.

The data area of this page contains a table with the following columns:

Selection Check box: Used to remove access points.

AP Name: This is the name assigned to the access point. Click a list item for details about the access point. Refer to Editing Devices.

Radio: Protocol of the Cisco Radio is either 802.11a, 802.11b or 802.11g. Click a list item for details about the Cisco Radio. Refer to Monitor Access Points > > .

Map Location: Unassigned or location on a map of the location of the access point.

Controller: IP Address of the controller to which this access point is attached.

Port: The access point is connected to this controller port.

Oper Status: Displays the operational status of the Cisco WLAN Solution device, either Up or Down.

Alarm Status: A colored dot indicating Up (green), Alarm (yellow) or Down (red).

Select a command drop-down list

To add a third-party (foreign) access point, select the command Add Foreign AP and click GO. Refer to Configure Add Foreign AP.

Copy and Replace AP: This allows you to copy the configuration from one access point to another. Refer to Configure > All Access Points > Copy to AP.

To remove an access point, select the command Remove APs and Click GO.

Note Even if you had removed an access point from the system, it will appear in the All Access Point list. You have to manually remove them using the Remove APs command. This is done so that the RF data is not lost if you had removed the access point temporarily.

From this WCS doc;

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps6305/products_configuration_guide_chapter09186a00805c52a3.html#wp1060317

Hope this helps!

Rob

Hi Rob

Perfect

Thanks for the info, it was staring at me the whole time. The doco was not 100% clear on it and I don't know why I never saw that function before. I used the remove feature and it worked.

Thanks again

Dale

Rob Huffman
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Dale,

Good stuff! Thanks for posting back as well as the nice rating. Now I will know how to do this when we implement WCS. It's always kind of hard to read these docs and try and pinpoint the answer you are looking for, but I guess thats what keeps us on our toes :)

Thanks again!

Rob

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card