cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

PIX 501 and internet access issue

otnj2ee
Level 1
Level 1

My network is very simple, like this: A DSL Modem is connected to a Cisco PIX 501 firewall/router, and a computer is connected to this firewall.

Now this PIX 501 box has two interfaces: Inside (192.168.1.1) and the netwroked PC (192.168.1.2). The outside interface is set to DHCP to be dynamically assigned an IP by the ISP's DNS server (192.168.0.1).

My networked PC (running Windows XP) is configured with an static IP (192.168.1.2), default Gateway (192.168.1.1 which is the PIX 501), and the DNS IP (192.168.0.1 which is the ISP's DNS Server).

But I can NOT access the internet. I can Ping 192.168.1.1 (the inside interface) but not the outside (192.168.0.1).

What am I missing and what should I do?

Please note:

I attached a file which shows the current PIX config. Please refer to the attachment below.

Thanks

Scott

2 Replies 2

Fernando_Meza
Level 7
Level 7

Hi .. the config seems Ok .. but I believe you are doing doble NATing.

1.- As packets go from inside to outside (PIX)

2.- As packest go from PIX and out of the Modem.

I suggest you to try configuring your modem in bridge mode and the PIX as PPPoE client.

Here is an example you could use as reference.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/vpndevc/ps2030/products_configuration_example09186a00801055dd.shtml

I hope it helps .. please rate if it does !!

Thanks for the help.

It is too complex for me to follow. The important thing is: this PIX used to work. It is just recently I moved from the one place to another. After I re-hooked up the network, it stopped working, even though I went through a lot of the re-starting, re-booting,...

Thanks

Scott

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card