cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco 871 router VLAN setup

chapmanslade
Level 1
Level 1

I am trying to set up a second VLAN on my Cisco 871 router (it currently has VLAN1 default only) but it will not let me saying that the maximum number of VLAN's has been reached. It should allow 4 VLAN's so I don't understand ?

10 Replies 10

spremkumar
Level 9
Level 9

hi

do make sure you have advanced ip services ios image on your router to have 4 vlans configured on your router..

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/routers/ps380/products_data_sheet0900aecd8028a976.html

regds

Thanks for the prompt reply

That is likely to be the problem as it is using the default IOS 12.4 (4).

I must admit to finding the different versions of IOS confusing - which one do I need ?

Thanks

Hi

The one mentioned in your mail is the main version number you will have file name when you issue show version command which will help to find out the exact feature set of the code..

regds

But how do I download the IOS images - I cannot log in and am totally confused how to register for access. I bought the routers from a UK retailer

Sorry, you need to buy a maintenance contract (aka smartnet) to register with download privileges on CCO. beside, since this is a feature upgrade, technically you would need an upgrade license too. It shouldn't be very expensive for a small router, but the router must elegible for the contract. Contact a reputable authorized Cisco Reseller.

Hope this helps, if so please rate post!

Hi,

you can access with valid purchase or sales order number without having CCIE .

For more help check this FAQ.

http://www.cisco.com/public/news_training/tac_overview.html

HTH

Raj

Beside the fact that CCIE was never mentioned in this thread, a cisco sales order number would not help. Moreover, it is not available unless you have purchased directly from Cisco, and this is not the case.

I am astonished that a feature that is made to look standard on the sales literature is in fact a cost upgrade. I have contacted the retailer in an attempt to sort something out but this is apalling. If I don't have any sucsess I will RMA 3 routers and buy a competitors product that values it's customers. Not good enough Cisco !

Chapmanslade I'm not here to defend Cisco and I agree that their business model can be confusing and frustrating for small business users. I do also thank you for the nice rating that you gave me.

However in this case it is clear from the product literature that VLAN is a feature not included in the standard image.

http://cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/routers/ps380/products_qanda_item0900aecd8028a982.shtml

Q. How many 802.1q VLANs can be configured on the built-in 4-port switch (Fast Ethernet 0-3)?

A. A maximum of four VLANs are supported on the Cisco 870 Series with the plus feature set (Advanced IP Services/Advanced Enterprise Services). The Cisco 850 Series only supports one 802.1q VLAN.

The same information is present in the data sheet also.

You should consider that is traditional for Cisco to charge differently based on features or protocols used, in the form of different software images (feature sets), or paper licenses.

But as I have the 870 series unless you dig very deep and discover that the 'plus feature set' is not standard then you end up very disappointed.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card