cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

PIX 525 Virtual MAC Address Configuration

pncisco216
Level 1
Level 1

I am currently setting up a pair of PIX 525 firewalls in an active/active arrangement with multiple security contexts. What is the difference between setting the MAC address and standby MAC address at the system level in the failover groups, or at an interface in a security context. I appear to be able to do any combination of one or the other or both? Which take s precidence? Is there a reason why you would use one or the other places to set the MAC and standby MAC?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Nope, you can still set them in the system config, under the 'failover group' section.

Sincerely,

David.

PS> If this solves your issue, please don't forget to check the box so we can clear it off the list.

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

David White
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Either way works. However, I would suggest assigning the MACs in the failover group (that is what the command was designed for).

If you choose to set the MAC under the interface, then this will have precidence.

Sincerely,

David.

Thank you for the reply.

One follow up question. If the same interface is allocated in more than one security context, would it then be better to set different MAC addresses at the interface level for each security context?

Nope, you can still set them in the system config, under the 'failover group' section.

Sincerely,

David.

PS> If this solves your issue, please don't forget to check the box so we can clear it off the list.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card