cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Need to Recver my PIX Password

spahlavan
Level 1
Level 1

I have a problem with resetting my PIX 501 firewall password. Since I inherited this from a previous Engineer who did not leave any documentation I don't know what the IP address for inside and outside interfaces are. I would like to use it in our lab.

Any chance somebody could tell my how to recover (reset) the password.

I have followed the steps in this article:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/vpndevc/ps2030/products_password_recovery09186a008009478b.shtml

Basically I connected the Ethernet0 port of my PIX to a switch and connected my laptop to the same switch.

I have connected my laptop with the console cable and am able to get to the monitor mode. But as the above document describes I need to type interface 0 and then address of the inside interface. The problem is that I don't know the address of the inside interface. Is there a way I can assign a new IP address to the inside interface at this point?

Thank you for your assistance, in advance.

Sam

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

yes you are right...and no you dont need a default gateway command if you are directly connecting your tftp with a patch cable

View solution in original post

jaysoo
Level 1
Level 1

They mean to type in any address, it doesn't matter what as long as your laptop's address is on the same subnet. You can just use 10.0.0.1 on the PIx and 10.0.0.2 on your laptop for example. Once you have run the password recovery process and rebooted the PIX the config will still be there with the original addresses and you will be able to see them.

Also, 255.255.255.0 is a mask not a gateway. You don't need a gateway if you put the two devices on the same subnet.

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

abinjola
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

yes you can assign a new ip address using this command, make sure the TFP and the ip address assigned on this Interface should be on the same subnet

Thanks for your response.

So you are saying by going to the monitor mode and typing "interface 0" and then "address 192.168.10.100", I will be basically overwriting the previously-assigned Ethernet0 IP address with the new IP address (192.168.10.100)?

Do I still need to use the gateway command, i.e., "gateway 255.255.255.0"?

Thanks

yes you are right...and no you dont need a default gateway command if you are directly connecting your tftp with a patch cable

jaysoo
Level 1
Level 1

They mean to type in any address, it doesn't matter what as long as your laptop's address is on the same subnet. You can just use 10.0.0.1 on the PIx and 10.0.0.2 on your laptop for example. Once you have run the password recovery process and rebooted the PIX the config will still be there with the original addresses and you will be able to see them.

Also, 255.255.255.0 is a mask not a gateway. You don't need a gateway if you put the two devices on the same subnet.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: