cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

SNMP on partner exchange server (voice runtime edition)

thomas1
Level 2
Level 2

We have Unity 4.2(1) with failover installed. The partner Exchange server is using the version provided by Cisco. All OS's on all three servers are 2000. The SNMP service on the partner Exchange server runs at 99% processor utilization nonstop. Has anyone else seen this problem? How do I fix this? The hardware is an IBM x346 3.4 ghz.

4 Replies 4

Tommer Catlin
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Do you use the SNMP service on the Windows Exchange box? If you do not use it, I would just turn it off. Sounds like you have something going on in Windows. Depending on what was shipped from Cisco, you could have W2k and E2k or Windows 2003/Exchange 2003.

Yes, I need to use the SNMP service on the partner exchange server. We have a Monitoring Team that uses an application which makes use of SNMP. It's our policy to have servers and applications monitored. The monitoring tools can notify our Help Desk folks to open tickets/notify oncall staff, etc.

Right now, I have the service turned off...I'm hoping to find a solution though. The Exchange version is 2000 (from Cisco). The OS is 2000 also.

check on these KB articles from MS:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/888798

Also, if your traps are being sent out, is there a problem being sent all the time cause high CPU?

Or is your monitoring tool polling your Exchange server constantly cause the SNMP service to use all the CPU?

I would check on the service pack for windows that you are running SP4 and post fixes, Exchange sp and post fixes are installed.

Have your monitoring team stop polling the server, let the traps send out to the team and see how it reacts. It could just be something in Windows stepping on itself.

The Exchange messaging component you have is fairly basic. It purely Microsoft 2000 server and Exchange 2000. Unity/Cisco would have little do with your SNMP service being pegged.

Check your event logs for errors in windows that may point to some service hanging, or cause SNMP to gobble up the CPU.

hope this helps.. or not?

Thanks for your help on this. Turns out the server just needed to be rebooted...silly me. :)

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: