IOS software for Router 2611

Unanswered Question
Apr 3rd, 2007

I lost the IOS on a router, it was overwriten and i dont know how.

I dont have a backup of the ios what shall i do ?

I have this problem too.
0 votes
Overall Rating: 4.3 (4 ratings)
desai.jaideep Wed, 04/04/2007 - 02:36

Hi

The IOS can be obtained from following sources?

(1)Purchase from Cisco

(2)Download from CCO (need a valid service contract with Cisco)

(3)It can be downloaded from the exact same another router and uploaded to the non functioning router.

BTW which router it is? and what is the error message you are getting?

Regards

JD

suheiromari Fri, 04/06/2007 - 06:13

Hello

your reply was v. helpful but i want to ask you, the router is 2611 and it s booting to Rommon and not entering more than that. I entered : dir flash and the result was a name that is not for an ios so i knew it was overwirtten.

situwayne Fri, 04/06/2007 - 13:30

"I entered : dir flash and the result was a name that is not for an ios so i knew it was overwirtten"

any chance the ios is renamed? while you are in rommon mode try boot flash:filename

this router uses the same ios as 2610-2613. if you have any of these model, you can use their ios.

suheiromari Wed, 04/11/2007 - 02:25

Thanks for your help

but yes there is a chance it has been renamed. i'll check . but if it was renamed how would i rename it back to the original name and what is the original name ( i don't know it)

suheiromari Fri, 04/06/2007 - 06:18

Hi

I also want to ask you if the router is 2611 and i got IOS from another router (different series) it will not work?

desai.jaideep Fri, 04/06/2007 - 08:36

Hi

You need an IOS to boot that router which should not be of different series.

Regards

JD

suheiromari Wed, 04/11/2007 - 02:35

Hello ,

when i get a copy of the ios , what is the easiest way to upload it to the non functioning router. (taking into consideration that i dont have tftp server connected.

regards

If you decide to use XMODEM please change serail/console port speed before transfer. should be able to go as high as 115200. Be sure change it on both the network device and the serial terminal port on the workstation being used.

BE SURE TO CHANGE THEM BACK ONCE TRANSFER IS COMPLETE!!! Otherwise the config register will not display as expected.

opteronguy Tue, 04/24/2007 - 10:20

I have lost the IOS on a one my 2501 routers that I have as well. It too boots to Rommon mode, however I do have another working 2501 and a tftp server.

I'm thinking I can just attach the routers eth int to a switch, connect my PC with tftp server to the same switch, obviously setup the right IPs, and upload the IOS to the dead router?

Also I didn't mean to highjack this thread, but I figured I would post here instead of starting a whole new one for a similar problem.

Actions

This Discussion