cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Virtual Interface Routing Issue

erikhoehne
Level 1
Level 1

I have a 3845 router with 2 4 port ESW modules. I've configured virtual vlan interfaces and put the physical switch port int's in their respective VLAN. However, I cannot get layer 3 traffic to forward out any of the switch ports.

I have a 2800 configured the same way and it works fine. Is there something different in the 3800 architecture for this to work differently?

I run a debug IP packet, I get encapsulation failed or unroutable. On the other hand, the arp table populates the IP I'm trying to reach with the correct MAC. The routing table on the router shows my interface as connected as well. Plus,I just upgraded the router to the latest Enterprise IOS.

The built in Fast Ethernet interfaces route layer 3 traffic just fine; so it's something with the interaction of IOS and the 4 port switch modules for routing layer 3 traffic. I'm at a loss!

3 Replies 3

glen.grant
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Maybe you can post a "show ip int brief" and the router config and maybe we can see something. Did you you create the layer 2 vlan ? Does it sh up with a show vlan-switch command?

http://cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/iosswrel/ps5207/products_feature_guide09186a00802c6bb6.html#wp1027177

Good Afternoon Glen,

Sure, I'll paste some of the config; it's rather long and a sh ip int br below. Yes, I can see the vlan's if I perform a show vlan-switch. I've been banging my head up against the wall for days on this. I'm in crunch time, so maybe you can see something. Just to let you know; the network I'm having issues with is configured on the vlan1 interface. I have the physical int (Fa0/2/2)in vlan1. I appreciate your help!

a00.snjsca03#sh ip int brief

Interface IP-Address OK? Method Status Protocol

Vlan1 10.10.0.223 YES NVRAM up up

-----------------------------

Here's the config:

interface FastEthernet0/2/2

duplex full

speed 100

!

interface Vlan1

ip address 10.10.0.223 255.255.0.0

!

Here's the routing table:

Gateway of last resort is not set

10.0.0.0/16 is subnetted, 1 subnets

C 10.10.0.0 is directly connected, Vlan

--------------

Here's sh vlan-switch output:

VLAN Name Status Ports

---- -------------------------------- --------- -------------------------------

1 default active Fa0/2/1, Fa0/2/2, Fa0/2/3

Thanks!

Erik

Looks like I have a bad slot on my router. Things work fine if I terminate the ethernet cable into my other 4 port ESW.

Thanks anyway Glen!

Erik

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card