Views
Helpful
Replies

Loopback on T1

skhirbash
Level 1
Level 1

Hi there,

I got 4 new 1841 with a T1 WIC. I have configured the F0/0, S0/0/0 (Frame-Realy), and the sub-int S0/0/0.1 correctly. I would like to know why when I do a show ip interface breif, the S0/0/0 and S0/0/0.1 status come up as Down and the protocol as down. I understand that the protocol would show the protocol as down since I haven't plugged the T1 to the jack.

Also, what does the loopback button on the WIC card do?

Thanks in advance,

SKTECH

11 Replies 11

situwayne
Level 1
Level 1

Push this button to place the WIC into loopback mode. The service provider can send a signal to test the connection from your site to the central office switch.

Push this button again to turn off loopback mode.

Thanks for answering the second part of my inquiry. Can someone kindly answer the first part of my question?

Thanks in advance,

SKTECH

desai.jaideep
Level 5
Level 5

Hi

Ideally you can make a RJ-45 connector with 1,2 pins going into 4,5 of the same connector.(called hard loop back)

After inserting the connector into the card,the line protocol should come up.

View more details on:

http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/116/t1_flchrt_main.html

Regards

JD

Shouldn't I see the status of the serial inteface (and sub-interface) as being "UP" after configuring it properly and executing the "no shutdown" command? I am seeing the status as being "UP" for the Fastethernet! Keep in mind that I still haven't plugged in the T1 WIC to the T1 jack.

Sorry, but I can't access the link mentioned as I don't currently have a privilaged cisco account.

After I have pressed the Loopback button, the "AL" and "LP" LEDs light up solid amber and when I pressed the button again the "LP" LED disappeared but not the "AL". What is this "AL" and how do I get rid of it?

Thanks,

SKTECH

you have an "alarm" condition. make sure your circuit and patch cord is ok.

Nothing is plugged into the WIC card yet. I removed the WIC card and plugged it back in and that seemed to have corrected the problem; however, once I reload or recycle the device, the "AL" amber light comes back on. Any ideas?

Thanks again in advance,

SKTECH

here is what i think is happening....your WIC is not connected to an active circuit and you did "no shut" on the serial interface. because there is no carrier detected you get an alarm.

you can make a T1 loopback plug and see if the alarm goes away.

to make a T1 loopback plug, use a RJ-45 connector and wire as follow

1 > 4

2 > 5

That worked!

Great and thanks for all of your assitance.

SKTECH

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: