cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Can not ping thru ASA

laverne-sanders
Level 1
Level 1

I have a ASA 5540 and currently two route statements one for the inside traffic and the other a DF route to the outside. The ACl I have is an extended ACL allowing IP to any any applied to the in interface inside, out interface inside. Yet I can not ping from an internal host thru the ASA nor can I ping from a external host to the internal network. Anyone have any ideas?

5 Replies 5

abinjola
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

either add this :-

ASA(config)# policy-map global_policy

ASA(config-pmap)# class inspection_default

ASA(config-pmap-c)# inspect icmp

or add an access list on the outside permitting the icmp

I have an access-list that allows echo and echo reply but I can not ping thru the device. When logged into the console I can ping everywhere. I have an access-list on the Inside interface for in and out bound traffic that permits IP any any to inculde echo and echo reply.

As abinjola said, you would need to allow echo-reply into outside interface. The ping is going out, but is being stopped on the way back.

Here is a good link for ICMP on the ASA.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/customer/products/hw/vpndevc/ps2030/products_tech_note09186a0080094e8a.shtml#topic0

Thanks,

Chad

Please rate if this helps!

as i've already explained eiher add inspect icmp or add an access-list on the "outside" Interface to allow the ping reply through

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card