Views
Helpful
Replies

What are you people using between Ironport and Exchange

steven_geerts
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I'm working for a Europe based financial company (around 80.000 mailboxes worldwide). We have our mailboxes spread over several mailbox systems, mostly Exchange but Domino is also used. Some are large others are very small. We have interconnected the systems by putting a mail relay layer between the mailbox systems and the internet gateways (Ironport).

This middle layer provides us content filtering, address rewriting, virus scanning and some special functions like a customized Out of Office system.
I assume some other companies are using a similar setup and like to know what products are used for it. and.... of course.... what are your experiences.

Thanks for your reaction!

4 Replies 4

Right now, sendmail is between Exchange and IP. But after this weekend, IP will talk directly to Exchange.

We've moved our alias tables into either the IronPort boxes or into the exchange address book where approproiate. The Ironports can do the address rewriting.

I'm also working on replacing our internal open relay with an Exchange 2007 Edge server.

-Chuck

We are using a front end and back end topology with our Exchange servers (both 2003) and talking the Front end with the Ironport appliance

steven_geerts
Level 1
Level 1

Thank you for replying.

I noticed I have not givven any information about the product we use :oops:

We use BT/Syntegra MMP 1.3 for our intrenal routing layer (has anyone ever heard about this product?).
For our internet connectivity we use C600 devices. These replaced other MMP systems with Brightmail for SPAM filtering.

Eyo.

We're currently running our Ironports at the perimeter for our main and subdomains, then a set of PostFix servers that take the traffic and pump it down to exchange.