cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

FTP from Cat4948 console to FTP server on VLAN

ciscostnnoaa
Level 1
Level 1

How do I configure my Cat4948 switch to allow access to an FTP server from the console?

I have set up a Cat4948 to have 2 VLANs: VLAN 2 is the "Server" VLAN and VLAN 3 is the "Management" VLAN. On the management VLAN I have several devices that are manageable via HTTP, and I can access them from the PC within the VLAN designated for that purpose. I also have an FTP server on VLAN 3 whose purpose is to allow updating of the switch.

When I access the console and try to copy from (or to) the FTP server, it fails. I do not want to allow access to the FTP server from any devices on VLAN 2, just from the switch itself.

Any help would be appreciated.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi

You should be able to create a layer 3 SVI on the 4948 in vlan 3.

So on the 4948 you can do

switch(config)# interface vlan 3

switch(config-if)# ip address "vlan 3 ip" "vlan 3 subnet mask"

This should then allow the switch to talk to the FTP server.

HTH

Jon

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi

Do you route between the vlans or are they completely separate. Can you ping the ftp server from the switch ?

if the vlans do not route between each other then the only option you have is to give the 4948 an IP address out of your management vlan (vlan 3).

You could allow the 2 vlans to route between each other but then you would need to apply access-lists to stop any other devices on vlan 2 talking to the ftp server.

HTH

Jon

Jon,

Thanks for the quick response. I do not route between the VLANs. One thought I had was that I might need to set up a static route and ACL, but I wasn't sure how to do that for the console.

Exactly how do I go about giving the 4948 an IP address? By configuring the loopback interface? I tried that and it didn't seem to work, but I am not quite clear on how this is supposed to work.

You also mentioned allowing routing between the VLANs. The question I have in that regard is how do I get the switch itself into a VLAN? Before I set anything up I was able to make the FTP connection from the switch to the FTP server, but this was when everything was in the default VLAN 1.

Hi

You should be able to create a layer 3 SVI on the 4948 in vlan 3.

So on the 4948 you can do

switch(config)# interface vlan 3

switch(config-if)# ip address "vlan 3 ip" "vlan 3 subnet mask"

This should then allow the switch to talk to the FTP server.

HTH

Jon

Jon,

That did it, with the addition of:

switch(config-if)#no shutdown

It was very helpful. Thanks!

Scott

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card