Views
Helpful
Replies

1242AG Lap wont come up :error power low

akobwaycct
Level 1
Level 1

hi

i have a cisco 1242AG lap that uses PoE and connects to a C2950-24 switch.When connected to the switch via a power injector or directly to the swicth with TP cable the access point does powerup but after that the reports that the power is too low.

when i feed the lap with power without using PoE the it comes up though

i suspect that this might have something to do with inline power in the swicth...please assist.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

d-berlinski
Level 1
Level 1

You need to tell the AP that you are using a power injector. From the WLC, navigate to the AP's configuration page and check Power Injector State under the PoE Settings. You will also need to provide the MAC of the switch.

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

d-berlinski
Level 1
Level 1

You need to tell the AP that you are using a power injector. From the WLC, navigate to the AP's configuration page and check Power Injector State under the PoE Settings. You will also need to provide the MAC of the switch.

Connect to the console and when you power up the AP it will report that the power is too. It will also give you a command to add on the switch interface regarding the power (can not think of the command right out). If this does not work, ensure that the AP has associated with the WLAN Controller and then change the power settings on the AP Settings page and reboot. Should work fine.

fredn
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

The Cisco AP1242 requires a power source that can do IEEE 802.3af. Check the power capability of your particular switch, it needs to be able to supply 15 Watts. Many earlier powered switches can supply power but at a lesser wattage (say 6-8 Watts).

The AP can learn from Cisco CDP what the capability of the switch is and if it can not provide enough power the AP will attempt to come up without radios active or warn that the power is too low.

Again, the powered switch does NEED to be able to support IEEE 802.3af PoE and needs to be able to supply up to 15 Watts of power.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card