Views
Helpful
Replies

What indicate line "fan-tray 1 mode: restricted-power" in show env output

e.frolov
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I can't find what indicate line "fan-tray 1 mode: restricted-power" in show env output.

c6509-2#show environment status

backplane:

operating clock count: 2

operating VTT count: 3

fan-tray 1:

fan-tray 1 type: WS-C6509-E-FAN

fan-tray 1 mode: restricted-power

fan-tray 1 fan-fail: failed

Maybe it means low fans rotation speed, but at the same time I have minor temperature alarm (in this case a fans speed must be fasterst).

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi Friend,

"restricted" power is the default for the 6509-E chassis. In fact, the WS-C6509-E-FAN has two modes, Restricted-Power mode( aka Fan2 equivalent mode) and High Power Mode.

High Power mode is designated for future use, and is currently not implemented. In other words, Restricted-power mode is the 'normal' mode that you should expect to see, and is functionally equivalent to the WS-C6K-9SLOT-FAN2 in a 6509.

HTH

Ankur

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Danilo Dy
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi,

The "fan-tray 1 fan-fail: failed" line is more important. Thus your Fan Tray "Fan Fail" LED is red? Did you perform any upgrade lately (i.e. Sup Engine)? You may need to send your fan tray to Cisco through normal RMA process

Check this link http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps708/products_field_notice09186a008053567e.shtml

Thanks for you concern. The fan-tray was replaced yesterday.

I want to find meaning of phrase "fan-tray 1 mode: restricted-power". I can't find this information neither on CCO nor in Internet.

Hi Friend,

"restricted" power is the default for the 6509-E chassis. In fact, the WS-C6509-E-FAN has two modes, Restricted-Power mode( aka Fan2 equivalent mode) and High Power Mode.

High Power mode is designated for future use, and is currently not implemented. In other words, Restricted-power mode is the 'normal' mode that you should expect to see, and is functionally equivalent to the WS-C6K-9SLOT-FAN2 in a 6509.

HTH

Ankur

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card