cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

level 5 passwords

cfajardo1_2
Level 1
Level 1

is there any way i could break level 5 passwords on cisco routers?

thanks

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Celso

The type 5 passwords are protected by MD5 and as far as I know there is not any way to break them.

Depending on what type of password it is, you can probably use the password recovery procedure and replace the password with a new password. But I do not think that you can break the existing password.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Celso

The type 5 passwords are protected by MD5 and as far as I know there is not any way to break them.

Depending on what type of password it is, you can probably use the password recovery procedure and replace the password with a new password. But I do not think that you can break the existing password.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

level 5 passwords can't be broken.

level 7 passwords are easily broken.

HI avmabe,

Can you please Post the Steps to break the "Level 7" Password in CISCO Router.

Thanks in Advance for Help

Best Regards,

Guru Prasad R

Hi Guru,

you can do that with the help of solarwinds, try downloading the 30 dayz trail version & there u can find "decrypting the cisco password" for level 7. hope this helps.

rate this post if satisfied.

actually all passwords can be broken :0)

If you know how to reverse an MD-5 string...

You can attack MD-5 with many programs on the net, you will need to brute force them, so the longer and more complex your enable secret the better... check this...

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk583/tk372/technologies_configuration_example09186a00801f2336.shtml

Cisco actually offering another type of password, knowing md-5 / type5's are vulnerable.

Philip D'Ath
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

I've written both type 7 and type 5 password crackers in javascript that can run in your web browser (Google Chrome is faster on type 5 at the moment).  Type 5 is a bit of a challenge in javascript unless the password is particularly weak.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card