cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

level 5 passwords

cfajardo1_2
Level 1
Level 1

is there any way i could break level 5 passwords on cisco routers?

thanks

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Celso

The type 5 passwords are protected by MD5 and as far as I know there is not any way to break them.

Depending on what type of password it is, you can probably use the password recovery procedure and replace the password with a new password. But I do not think that you can break the existing password.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Celso

The type 5 passwords are protected by MD5 and as far as I know there is not any way to break them.

Depending on what type of password it is, you can probably use the password recovery procedure and replace the password with a new password. But I do not think that you can break the existing password.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

level 5 passwords can't be broken.

level 7 passwords are easily broken.

HI avmabe,

Can you please Post the Steps to break the "Level 7" Password in CISCO Router.

Thanks in Advance for Help

Best Regards,

Guru Prasad R

Hi Guru,

you can do that with the help of solarwinds, try downloading the 30 dayz trail version & there u can find "decrypting the cisco password" for level 7. hope this helps.

rate this post if satisfied.

actually all passwords can be broken :0)

If you know how to reverse an MD-5 string...

You can attack MD-5 with many programs on the net, you will need to brute force them, so the longer and more complex your enable secret the better... check this...

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk583/tk372/technologies_configuration_example09186a00801f2336.shtml

Cisco actually offering another type of password, knowing md-5 / type5's are vulnerable.

Philip D'Ath
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

I've written both type 7 and type 5 password crackers in javascript that can run in your web browser (Google Chrome is faster on type 5 at the moment).  Type 5 is a bit of a challenge in javascript unless the password is particularly weak.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco