cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Any experience of upgrading a WLSE to WCS?

scottwilliamson
Level 2
Level 2

Hi All,

Has anyone out there upgraded a WLSE appliance to WCS? It seems a fairly easy process going by the instructions on the site but I wonder if there are any pitfalls to be wary of?

Any advise would be appreciated.

Thanks

Scott

10 Replies 10

emcaaman
Level 1
Level 1

It's works very well !

Normally you will not found any problem.

I do that 3 weeks ago, and works fine.

Be sure to have the 2 CDs with you to do the process. And you should be physically connected to the console port.

The process can't be done remotly.

The migration guide is on:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps6305/products_configuration_guide_chapter09186a00806b71db.html

Regards,

Emilio

Thanks Emilio

Regards

Scott

Emilio,

Have you tried to upgrade to the latest code since the conversion?

When I converted the WLSE to WCS, it was converted to 4.0.66. Now that Cisco has new code out there, I'm trying to upgrade but I can't start a X session. It's like the linux box is stripped to the very minimum.

I'm not sure how to start an X session now...I only know "startx"! Please help if you know how to do this! thanks.

Hi Linda,

When I tested, I do it with 4.0.66 or similar too.

But may be you want to wait for a couple of weeks for the new release.

Regards,

Emilio

Thanks for the response back.

As long as I had SSH to the box, I've already had a terminal session started (per Cisco).

I was trying to launch "startx" or "xdm" and I didn't need to.

The upgrade is pretty straight forward but make sure you choose the defaults when re-installing.

Linda

Hi Linda,

can you tell me what you mean by "choose the defaults when reinstalling" please - is this for the wlse to WCS upgrade?

Thanks

Scott

This is only if you upgrade to a newer version of WCS. I just upgraded from 4.0.66 to 4.0.217. You must uninstall/re-install the WCS application, as shown in the Cisco docs. Be patient as restarting the WCS processes takes a long time!!

Taking the defaults allows you to bring up the WCS quicker otherwise you will have to go into the scripts to change the directories.

Note: if converting from WLSE, make sure you have the 2 cd's at hand with your license key!!!

Hi Linda,

Thanks for the tips

Regards

Scott

Hi Paul,

the part numbers for the version I have (4.0.66.0 for Linux) is different on each disc. Disc 1 is 80-8572-01 and disc 2 is 80-8568-01.

hope this is helpful

Scott

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card