cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Automated action for Syslog; SNMP script?

att0055rj
Level 1
Level 1

I was wondering how I would get CiscoWorks to send out an SNMPInform in response to a lvl 0-3 Syslog message. My main goal is to send an alert to OpenView. I tried setting up an automated action, but SNMP is not an option. Is there a well known script I could use for this? How would CiscoWorks interact with the script? Does it include the Syslog message as well as the generating host in whatever type of notification it sends? Thanks in advance.

LMS 2.6

Solaris box

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Joe Clarke
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

The net-snmp suite (http://net-snmp.sourceforge.net) includes an snmpinform tool that you can use to send out an SNMP inform. However, it may be easier to configure syslog messages as traps on the device itself:

snmp-server enable traps syslog

This will wrap all syslog messages into traps using the CISCO-SYSLOG-MIB. They can then be sent as informs directly to your OpenView box.

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

avmabe
Level 3
Level 3

What I have always done is enable syslogs to be captured by ciscoworks and then forwarded as a syslog to openview. Then in the event browser in openview pare down the syslogs to the one you want and enable actions w/in OV NNM.

Joe Clarke
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

The net-snmp suite (http://net-snmp.sourceforge.net) includes an snmpinform tool that you can use to send out an SNMP inform. However, it may be easier to configure syslog messages as traps on the device itself:

snmp-server enable traps syslog

This will wrap all syslog messages into traps using the CISCO-SYSLOG-MIB. They can then be sent as informs directly to your OpenView box.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: