cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

DFM on LMS 2.6 Help

thefindjack
Level 1
Level 1

What is the recommended way of setting up DFM? I know that it by default polls all the devices periodically to see if they have reached threshholds for alerts. Is there a way to set it just to recieve traps from your devices? I would like to setup my devices to send traps to the LMS box instead of LMS trying to poll all 800+ devices. I would also like to setup my devices to send syslog messages to LMS. Anybody have any configuration examples for this or suggestions? Thanks

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Absolutely. RME offers both standard and customizable syslog reports under RME > Reports.

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Joe Clarke
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

DFM doesn't do much with traps. If you do not let it poll...well, you really have to let it poll if you install DFM...you won't get anything out of it. You would miss quite a lot of device events without DFM polling.

As for sending syslog messages to LMS, this is very easy to setup. Cisco devices use syslog facility local7 by default, so all you have to do is add a logging host (i.e. the IP address of the LMS server). For example, on IOS devices:

logging 10.1.1.1

You may want to play with the default facility as well. For example, to send severity 6 messages and lower to LMS:

logging trap info

Once the messages get to the LMS server, RME will handle processing them automatically. there are some default filters configured, but you can remove or add your own at RME > Tools > Syslog. You can also add Automated Actions to send email on reception of certain messages, run scripts, etc.

That information is very useful, Thanks. One other question though, can you use RME to look through the syslogs on a per device basis?

Absolutely. RME offers both standard and customizable syslog reports under RME > Reports.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco