Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

How to solve the footer problem?

In germany since the beginning of 2007 all business emails must be stamped by a company footer.
This sounds simple [Outgoing Content filter, add-footer ] but in reality it is a big problem, because most of users don't want to have a the company footer at the end of the email if they are sending a reply.
They expect the footer at the end of the new part they have written.
So the solution can be to use hard coded placeholder generated by the initial email system that is replaced by Ironport with the footer (depending on the company the user is a member of, different footers can be used e.g. by a ldap group query.)

:?: But ... How to replace the placeholder? It seem that this is not possible with Ironport or does anybody has an idea?

:idea: Another way to solve the problem can be to use a "Stamping header" instead of a footer. Such a header will be always at the top of the new part of an email, when you send a reply.
I asked support, it will be added to the wishlist for new releases.
So so far this is not a solution or does anybody know a workaround?

Regards
Stefan

4 Replies 4

There is no difference between footer stamping and add footer in a content or message filter.

The footer the IronPort adds is a new MIME part while it tries to add them inline when ever possible. Therefore it's up to the end user agent where to display it if it a MIME part on it's own. Which is where this is not enough for the German law.

If you are using an Exchange server use that one to footer stamp. The only thing that would be OK for the German law in 'inline' footer where the text/html MIME part is opened up and the footer is added.
Even than, the law would be tricky to be full filled, as if you have an attachment and two text parts, it's up to the user agent where to display the information.

As of now we are not aware of any work around most of the time the normal footer stamping does work. As we do add them inline if we can. Please look at the encoding to see if that is breaking it for you.

CLI->localeconfig

Cheers,

Mark

In germany since the beginning of 2007 all business emails must be stamped by a company footer.
This sounds simple [Outgoing Content filter, add-footer ] but in reality it is a big problem, because most of users don't want to have a the company footer at the end of the email if they are sending a reply.
They expect the footer at the end of the new part they have written.
So the solution can be to use hard coded placeholder generated by the initial email system that is replaced by Ironport with the footer (depending on the company the user is a member of, different footers can be used e.g. by a ldap group query.)

:?: But ... How to replace the placeholder? It seem that this is not possible with Ironport or does anybody has an idea?

:idea: Another way to solve the problem can be to use a "Stamping header" instead of a footer. Such a header will be always at the top of the new part of an email, when you send a reply.
I asked support, it will be added to the wishlist for new releases.
So so far this is not a solution or does anybody know a workaround?

Regards
Stefan

Hello Stefan,

we have the same problem and found the best solution to do is to have company rules that apply on the client side.
This decission is based on the fact that already many companies use client based signatures (s-mime) and also client based encryption which makes a gateway solution impossible.

We found a nice solution for exchange/outlook based on group policies
Aas we are almost neighbours you are invited to visit us.

Greetings from Greven/Münster

Hello Stefan,

we have the same problem and found the best solution to do is to have company rules that apply on the client side.
This decission is based on the fact that already many companies use client based signatures (s-mime) and also client based encryption which makes a gateway solution impossible.

We found a nice solution for exchange/outlook based on group policies
Aas we are almost neighbours you are invited to visit us.

Greetings from Greven/Münster

Hello Uwe,

I've visited your website. I suppose you are a partner for Ironport products.

We are using Lotus Domino and there are also client based products for Domino available, but these products have some disadvantages which I try to work around.

The biggest disadvantage of a client solution is that you can only stamp emails with a footer which were generated by the client. In our infrastructure we also send emails from SAP over Lotus Domino over Ironport to internet.
This email can not stamped with a footer in this concept.

Also this solutions costs additional money and the better tey are the more they cost :wink:
Domino 7 supports footer, but only for Notes email and not for relayed SMTP email.

The easiest way would in my opinion be to add a header with a gateway solution, because this will be always at the right position, also at reply and relayed email.

.... but this seems not to be possible with Ironport :(
... but perhaps this discussion can help to explain the problem to ironport.

Stefan

dbeste_ironport
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

have a look at the following thread:

http://www.ironportnation.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=240

I'm using this with several customers successfully.

Dirk

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: