Views
Helpful
Replies

Dual Core 6509's and how to offer Hot Standy and redundancy

Kevin Melton
Level 2
Level 2

Hello

I am working at a customer site that wants to put a 2nd 6500 box in their Core. they have asked that we prepare a document or presentation that shows how having the Dual Core switch arrangement will be able to benefit their servers for availability.

Can anyone direct me to any documentation or Case Studies that describe this scenario. I know this is a common configuration; I just need more detail...

Thx

3 Replies 3

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi

Attached is a link to Cisco's SRND (Solution Reference Network Design) documents. These cover a multitude of different areas. Have a look at the Data centre section as a starting point.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/netsol/ns656/networking_solutions_program_category_home.html

You don't say whether the server are directly connected into the 6500 core switches. If so adding a second would allow you to dual hone your servers to two different switches. Having a pair of 6500 switches will give you far more scope for redundancy etc..

HTH

Jon

Thanks for your data.

The recommendation is your 2nd paragraph is exactly what I need to put into the customer's project plan.

Glad to have helped. Good luck with the presentation.

Jon

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card