cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Rename VTP Domain

wierta
Level 1
Level 1

I'm currently wondering if it is possible to rename the VTP domain on a VTP server and have the name propagate to the clients without losing their VLAN database. We currently have a 4507R acting as the VTP server with a 3560 as its backup with a mix of 2950, 3500, 3550, 3560 connecting as clients. Our current VTP domain is named the same as our Internet domain name and I would like to change this to something else to avoid confusion.

4 Replies 4

VTP domain name can't be propogated dynamically. It's something that has to be configured on every switch. I know it may be a lot of work, depending on the # of switches, but unfortunately there's no workaround to this.

HTH

Sundar

So if I rename the VTP name on the VTP servers the other switches will still have their vlan databases left intact but would not receive updates until I changed their VTP domain as well? If thats the case then this isn't so bad becasue I can script the name change. I was just worried that I would lose the VLAN database on the switches.

True, the VLAN database on the client switches wouldn't be affected but they would stop receiving updates. However, if the client switch got rebooted before you change the domain name on it then you got a problem there.

HTH

Sundar

ilya.varlashkin
Level 3
Level 3

I'd first set all client switches to transparent mode, then change servers to transparent mode. Once you've set _all_ switches to transparent mode you can change VTP domain name without problems. After that set servers back to their server mode, and finally all clients back to client mode. Do not modify VLAN database during whole this operation on any of the switches.

This approach can be scripted if you have many switches. If you do so, make sure that renaming part kicks in only if all switches were successfully switched to transparent mode.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card