Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

adding a redundant sup 720 into aCat 6509

I am about to add a redundant sup 720 into our core 6509, reading all the documentation, there should not be a problem. I will be able to insert the sup on the live system. I will have to copy the IOS from the running Sup to the redundant SUP as they will not be at the same level.

Are there anything else I should be aware of?

6 Replies 6

situwayne
Level 1
Level 1

there should not be any problem. if I remember correctly, once you insert the second sup it will sync the IOS from the primary. so you dont have to manually copy.

This is what I got when i installed the new Supervisor:-

Apr 7 11:16:26.718 AU-wint: %PFREDUN-SP-1-VTP_CONFIG_DISLOCATE: VTP config file

must be in default location for standby supervisor to come online

Apr 7 11:16:26.718 AU-wint: %PFREDUN-SP-4-PHYSMEM_MISMATCH: Asymmetrical redund

ant configuration: Active SP has (458720/65536K) memory, Standby has (524288/327

68K).

ant configuration: Active RP has (458720/65536K) memory, Standby has (524288/327

68K).

Apr 7 11:16:26.718 AU-wint: %PFREDUN-SP-4-VERSION_MISMATCH: Defaulting to RPR m

ode (Different software versions)

Apr 7 11:16:32.282 AU-wint: %PFREDUN-SP-6-ACTIVE: Standby processor removed or

reloaded, changing to Simplex mode

the VTP problem I fixed by entering the " no vtp file " command

but I can't undestand the memory mismatch error

as I orderd the sup720 with 512MB of memory

the same as our current one!!

I am running IOS 12.2(18)SXD5, so There might be a bug, but I cannot find one.

any ideas

ant configuration: Active SP has (458720/65536K) memory, Standby has (524288/327

68K).

Please confirm the FRU there seems to be some mismatch

Amit Singh
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

You are hitting the BUG ID CSCee07694 for memory mismatch error that you are getting. This defect results when the primary and secondary supervisors are not running the same version of code. I would recommend upgrading your secondary supervisor to run the same version of code as your primary supervisor.

HTH,Please rate if it does.

-amit singh

I guess it had to be something like that.

Next question is how do I bring the redundant supervisor up. at the moment it is in Rommon mode.If I set the redundancy mode to RPR will that allow the second Supervisor to come up to a level where I can load the IOS.

The other problem I have is that I only have one 6509 and it is the core switch, so i cannot switch it off or reboot it!

Richard.

Richard,

As your Sup is in rommon, you will be able to console into the sup. Boot the Sup from there using " boot bootflash:" command.This will boot the Sup engine and once the sup is UP the redundancy mode will fall back to RPR automatically.

Please use the link below for recovering the switch:

http://www.cisco.com/warp/customer/473/14.html

Once, the sup is up then you can use FSU on the switch to upgrade the IOS on the redundant SUp engine.Please plan a scheduled downtime on the weekends for this activity.

Please use the link below for software upgrade:

http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/lan/cat6000/122sx/swcg/redund.htm#wp1089399

HTH,

-amit singh

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card