cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

trying to start a network

sha_carr27
Level 1
Level 1

I want to know what I need to do toget more than one computer going. I also have a cable going out of my computer I am not familiar with. I thought I would only need a router but I got the wrong one it was a telephone connection type. I know now that I need a gateway, at least that was what I was thinking. Does anyone know what kind of gateway has this cable connection?

3 Replies 3

Danilo Dy
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi,

What is your objective anyway? Connect to internet or just local (private) network or both? How many computers?

What is the brand and model of the router that you purchase? The telephone connection type in the router WAN interface may indicate that you purchase an ADSL router.

I am with a local internet provider. What I want to do is hook up a laptop and 2 computers. I returned the router since it was the wrong one. Now I just need to know which way to go. I have a new Dell Laptop, a new Dell desktop, and a older model Dell. On my laptop I did have a card installed and it does try to connect to the internet. My local internet provider wants me to install a bridge and a router but I don't think this is right. It says on my computer that this is the 350 series from cisco if that is any help.

Hi,

In your environment, you need an ADSL router integrated with switch and wireless. You can plug all your computer to the switch ports, and you can use the wireless for your laptop if you move around the house.

Take a look at Cisco 800 series routers;

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/routers/ps380/index.html

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/routers/ps380/prod_models_comparison.html

All Cisco 800 series routers comes with 4-10/100Mbps switch ports

You have to ask your ISP which of the model in the link is appropriate to you because of the ADSL port for their incoming link.

Good luck.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card