Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco 1720 at home on dymanic IP

nammysu88
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all,

I'm a newbie... I picked up a Cisco 1720 and want to set it up at my home. I have a Comcast cable connection with a dynamic IP. I've Googled and searched everywhere but can not find how to configure this (if possible).

Can someone point me in the right direction, please?

Thanks!

3 Replies 3

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Michael

The 1720 comes with 1 built in FastEthernet. Does your 1720 have a second optional Ethernet installed? If it has the second Ethernet then you should be able to get it to work (one interface for the Comcast connection and the other interface for your equipment) but if it has only the one interface then I do not see how you will get it to work.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Rick,

Thanks for your response.

I have the 1720 with a T1 CSU DSU WIC card. I got this router pre-owned, and this is what it came with. Would this card work? Am does this mean I need to get an Ethernet card?

I do have one FastThernet built in that is going into my switch. I have the console port for the console of course. And an auxiliary port.

I think I read somewhere that this is what the auxiliary port is for. Is this not true?

Thanks...

-M

M

As I said in my first post you need an Ethernet for your equipment and you need an Ethernet for the connection to Comcast.

That is not what the auxillary port is for. The aux port was designed to support connection via modem for out of band management. It takes an RJ45 connector like Ethernet, but it is NOT an Ethernet port.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card