Cicso 4000 as a training tool

Unanswered Question
Apr 6th, 2007

I was able to score an old Cisco 4000 router for free that I hope to use as a training tool. It seems to use to require a null modem cable (25 pin to 9 pin) for a terminal connection (as opposed to the rj-45 to 9pin serial that the newer routers use). I've tried a null modem cable and I'm not getting a Hyperterminal connection (using 9600 Baud, no parity, no flow control, 8 data bits, 1 stop bit). Does the 4000 require a special cable for terminal connections or am I just overlooking something? I've double checked that the serial port (COM1) is enabled, etc.

I can't telnet to any of the Ethernet ports, because I have no idea what their IPs are. I also believe that you need to use the console to reset the password, etc. Any help is greatly appreciated.

I have this problem too.
0 votes
Overall Rating: 3 (2 ratings)
bill.schneller Fri, 04/06/2007 - 12:13

I'll try that and see. Won't be able to try in until early next wek and will rate the post at that time.

Thanks!

bill.schneller Tue, 04/10/2007 - 12:35

It was in fact a straight through modem cable (not a null modem vcabel). The Cisco 4000 I have has a DB25 connector for the console, not the newer RJ45. All I needed was a straight DB25 to DB9 cable. Thanks to everyone for their help.

Actions

This Discussion