cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

ASK THE EXPERT - OUTDOOR WIRELESS

ciscomoderator
Community Manager
Community Manager

Welcome to the Cisco Networking Professionals Ask the Expert conversation. This is an opportunity to get an update on Outdoor Wireless with Cisco expert Fred Niehaus. Fred Niehaus is a technical marketing engineer for the Wireless Networking Business Unit at Cisco Systems, Inc. He has extensive customer contact and is responsible for developing and marketing enterprise class wireless solutions using Cisco Aironet and Airespace Series Wireless LAN products.

Remember to use the rating system to let Fred know if you have received an adequate response.

Fred might not be able to answer each question due to the volume expected during this event. Our moderators will post many of the unanswered questions in other discussion forums shortly after the event. This event lasts through April 20, 2007. Visit this forum often to view responses to your questions and the questions of other community members.

45 Replies 45

m-geisler
Level 1
Level 1

Hello Fred!

I am looking into some outdoor mesh with the 1500, and was wondering how can the backhaul reach 1 mile and more. Isn't 802.11a limited to 500feetat6Mbp? (omnidirectional antenna?)

What is the throughput at one mile?

Thanks

Michael

The recommended distances for the Mesh backhaul is typically between 1000 to 4000 Ft as this assumes you are connecting a Root Mesh AP referred to as a "RAP" or Rooftop Access Point to a "MAP" Mesh Access Point (that's usually an AP mounted on say a telephone or street light pole using an Omni antenna).

The backhaul link can certainly go further if you aim the signal in a given direction (using a directional antenna).

However, when doing same, it does limit the options of the AP to "mesh" to only those APs within the area covered by the directional antenna.

Dear Sir,

Thank you for your reply, if you may have a link for a Cisco blueprint on Wireless mesh (Aironet 1500) installation, and Aironet 1400 bridge installation.

Do all the MAP (Mesh AP) have to be connected to same or one RAP (Root Mesh AP)?

Please reach out to your Cisco account team for blueprints, and installation guides.

On the second half of the question..

The MAPs (Mesh APs) can connect to different RAP (Root APs). A Root AP is simply an AP that has a wired connection back to the controller, a sort of "anchor point" for the mesh APs to form their mesh around.

You can have multiple RAPs or in some cases (a RAP) can have a "wireless" link back to the controller (using say a 1400 Bridge or a third party product) such as a Redline (WiMax Bridge). But typically the RAP is always directly wired to the controller via Ethernet unless there is a reason to do as I described above.

abddandashi
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

Does the Aironet 1500 behave as a bridge or AP for long distance coverage? (3 to 4 miles), and if it is an AP, how large the cell?

Regards,

Andy.

The 1500 series is designed to create a wireless cell for clients typically using 2.4 GHz (802.11b/g). Given most clients do not have an external antenna (their are simply wireless clients built into laptops) the range is limited to roughly 300-500 Ft from the client to the pole (Mesh AP).

Clients can exceed this range if the client is enhanced (using say an external antenna on a vehicle for example). But generally speaking it is short range, the client data is then bridged back to the POP via the integrated 5 GHz (or if public safety 4./9 GHz). This backhaul link (also serves to create the mesh network so recommended distances on the backhaul are typically 1000 to 4000 Ft (this allows the mesh APs to see other mesh APs).

Greater distances can be attained if directional antennas are used on the backhaul links. However if the requirement is a long haul (3-4 mile) Bridge link, you might want to look at products such as the 1300 and 1400 outdoor bridges as these types of longer links typically don't require meshing functionality.

You can also do a hybrid approach (using say the 1400 outdoor Bridge for a longer distance link) and then scale locally with mesh.

soklamarhy
Level 1
Level 1

Fred,

Could I use my 1242 AP's as wireless bridges between two buildings? It would be nice to integrate with my current controllers.

If not, how could I make this happen with the 1242 APs?

Yes you can use a pair of 1242 APs in Bridge mode to link between two buildings. Although the 1242 is not "weatherproof" it can certainly be located indoors using an antenna cable to get the antennas outside of the building.

The 1242 AP has many features in automomous mode Bridge, Workgroup Bridge, and in a new update it will also support a new mode called "Universal Workgroup Bridge" where the AP can act like a "wireless shim" for an Ethernet client.

For linking buildings together "Bridge mode" is preferred.

When an AP 1242 is converted to LWAPP mode (unified) it loses Bridge functionality, so for the purposes of linking buildings together I would simply run them as Bridges, in this mode, they will not be seen by a controller.

I am tasked on deploying Wi-Fi in one of our larger parks and would like to implement WAP that will function as a Bridge and a WAP at the same time. Can you recommend the type of WAP that I can use for this delpoyment that does not need a line of site for the Bridge mode?

Anytime you deploy wireless products that operate at very high frequencies like 2.4 and 5 GHz you really do need line of sight.

Failure to obtain line of sight sets you up for strange RF connection problems, for example I was in Georgia and was able to do a fairly long link through some GA Pine trees but up in Ohio one single maple tree branch completely cut out the signal. Things like this will happen to you without line of sight and it can vary with weather conditions as well (moisture content of trees) etc..

The 1300 Bridge product can also function as an AP, but once you attempt to use directional antennas (it will be much harder for clients to connect to same).

I'd also look at the 1500 mesh product but again line of sight really is required.

ktradmin2
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

i have a 11000sqft warehouse in which i need to deploy a wireless solution. i have done little research on the Aironet 1240 and would like to have more info if that would be an adequate solution. Any information regarding the model and antenna configurations would be appreciated.

Thank you.

Sure the Aironet 1240 is a fine product for warehouse deployments. Take a look at this URL here

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps6521/index.html

The overall indoor range (using the stock rubber dipole antenna and extended temperatures can be found at this URL:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps6521/products_data_sheet0900aecd8031c844.html

Further distances can be attained by using external antennas, check out the antenna reference guide at this URL:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/wireless/ps469/products_data_sheet09186a008008883b.html

The 1240 is used in many warehouse deployments, including some very challenging "football field size freezers".

Fred

abddandashi
Level 1
Level 1

Dear Sir,

My question is not in reference to outdoors wireless, but i really would appreciate your response.

Can I upgrade the AIR-AP1231G-A-K9 into a LWAP to work with AIR-WLC2106-K9? If not, which LWAP would be good for this WLC?

e.g: AIR-LAP1231G-A-K9

Regards

Thank you for your response regarding the 1500's. We have several WAPs installed in various models from 1100, 1200, 1300, 1400 and 1500 series in both outdoor and indoor deployments. Most of them are on different Vlan's located at various facilities. What is your recommendation as far as managing and monitoring these WAP's at a central location?

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card