cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

multiple multilink interfaces

reachonenetadm
Level 1
Level 1

Currently we have 1 customer with a multilink T1 bundle, Customer A. We currently don't use any authentication on our existing multilink. I'd like to offer customer A a T1 multilink bundle and customer B a different T1 multilink bundle. All T1s would terminate on a 7206 with PA-MC-8T1. Customer A would have a /30 and Customer B would have a separate /30. I read that "In order to have multiple multilinks beween two routers, you need to configure different authenticated usernames for each bundle." Is it true that I'd have to configure authentication in order to do this, or could i simply use separate multilink-groups? Thanks in advance

6 Replies 6

spremkumar
Level 9
Level 9

Hi

Since its going to be permanent links getting connected on the router multilink group is enough to differentiate the links.

Authentication is in use mainly when you ISDN multilinks getting connected which is on demand and attached to the profile based on the authentication..

regds

Thanks for the reply.

Snydersh1_2
Level 1
Level 1

I have a near situation to this and am having problems with it. Instead of different customers, I have two sites, each with 7206vxr and (3) PA-MC-8T1 cards in them. Serial 3/0:0 and 3/1:0 will be in Multilink Group1 and serial 5/0:0 and 5/1:0 will be in multilink group2. Each multilink group is configured different /30 networks. I can bring only 1 multilink up at a time. As soon as I shut down a Multilink Interface, the other multilink will come up. While one of the multilinks is up, I do a "debug ppp multilink events" and see the following

*Jun 13 11:46:02.120: Se3/0:0 MLP: Request add link to bundle

*Jun 13 11:46:02.120: Se3/0:0 MLP: Adding link to bundle

*Jun 13 11:46:02.120: Se3/0:0 MLP: Bundle Mu3(rtr-boca-7206) in different multil

ink group

*Jun 13 11:46:02.120: Se3/0:0 MLP: Link not added to bundle

Any help would be great,

Shannon

can you post the multilink config from both routers

Jorge Rodriguez

I've recently found the documentation to support these multiple multilinks. The multilink must be configured w/ "ppp chap hostname WORD". Then assign the individual serials to that multilink w/ the same command.

I was having the same problem and got resolved.

Thanks a lot!!!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card