cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

4507/WS-X4448-GB-LX Etherchannel Speeds

2000coday
Level 1
Level 1

I was looking at purchasing a WS-X4448-GB-LX for a 4507 with the intent of connecting 5 or 6 3750s via etherchannel. The plan is to use all 4 sfp ports on the 3750s to connect to the 4507 to get ~4Gbs connection between the switches. In my reading, I see that the WS-X4448-GB-LX has 8 ports to a port group and a total group throughput of 1Gbs. This leads me to believe that even with the etherchannel, if all 4 fibers from a 3750 land in the same port group, the best I will get is 1Gbs.

I also looked at the WS-X4418-GB which has 4 ports per port group, bit I think the same problem still applies.

Is there a way to make this work with the hardware described, or am I looking at an upgrade to a 6500 to get this going?

3 Replies 3

Amit Singh
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

You can still achieve it using 4507R.You have to use 4306-GB module in the chassis which is a non-blocking module on 4507R and will give you 1Gb speed per Gig interface.You can have atmost 30 Gig ports usingthis module.So a little less scalability.

HTH,Please rate if it does.

-amit singh

I took a look at the 4306-GB card, but with only three slots open, I would only get four 3750s attached with 3 ports left over. I'd like to think that the 4500 series is a little more capable. I think the 3750 has a 1Gbs line speed and has far fewer expansion possibilities.

It's looking like I need to upgrade to a 6500 series switch...

As you said in the original post that you want to connect 5-6 3750's with 4 port channel to 4507R, 4306-GB can suffice the requirement for the same. You will not be able to put any other module in the chassis as all the slots will get full.

If you are looking for more scalability in near future, then you have to go for 6500.

-amit singh

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card