cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

More messages in buffer than on syslog server

tmarlow
Level 1
Level 1

If I have buffer logging and syslog set to record debugging level 7 messages, why do I see more messages sent to the buffer than the syslog server. I would have thought this would be equal. Such as:

rtrx>sh log

Syslog logging: enabled (44 messages dropped, 0 messages rate-limited, 0 flushes, 0 overruns)

Console logging: disabled

Monitor logging: disabled

Buffer logging: level debugging, 160 messages logged

Logging Exception size (4096 bytes)

Count and timestamp logging messages: disabled

Persistent logging: disabled

Trap logging: level debugging, 192 message lines logged

Logging to 64.x.x.x, 69 message lines logged

Log Buffer (16384 bytes):

Above, what are the 44 messages dropped?

3 Replies 3

aghaznavi
Level 5
Level 5

In this case you might have configured the system to log messages to the buffer with certain severity and to the logging server with certain severity.

The original post says that both buffer and syslog are set to level 7 messages. This appears to be confirmed in the output posted:

Buffer logging: level debugging, 160 messages logged

Trap logging: level debugging, 192 message lines logged

I wonder if it is a possibility that buffer logging was configured a bit later than syslog (trap) logging and that the 32 message difference is from the time difference in configuring?

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Don't look at the trap logging, look at the logging to host x.x.x.x, there is a significant difference in the amount of messages that it has sent during the same time, because the count is from after a reboot.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: