cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Video conferencing if you already have VoIP running

news2010a
Level 3
Level 3

Hi, imagine on a large organization you already have a voip system up and running.

Then you decide to deploy a video conferencing system.

In general, how much configuration do you expect to perform in order to deploy the video over IP successfully? Should I expect to do mainly client configuration in order to watch the video conferencing, or that is going to require router/switch configuration as well to accomodate the video traffic?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Brandon Buffin
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

It depends on the type and volume of video conferencing you're talking about. If you're referring to point to point conferencing using VT advantage, the configuration will be minimal. If you're referring to multipoint conferencing using a conference controller(s), the configuration becomes more complex. With any video, it's necessary to configure QoS throughout the network. This will certainly involve router/switch configuration in order to classify, mark, and honor the markings of video traffic.

Hope this helps. If so, please rate the post.

Brandon

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Brandon Buffin
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

It depends on the type and volume of video conferencing you're talking about. If you're referring to point to point conferencing using VT advantage, the configuration will be minimal. If you're referring to multipoint conferencing using a conference controller(s), the configuration becomes more complex. With any video, it's necessary to configure QoS throughout the network. This will certainly involve router/switch configuration in order to classify, mark, and honor the markings of video traffic.

Hope this helps. If so, please rate the post.

Brandon

Great!

It would be heavy traffic. That's a WAN network, 15,000+ nodes.

You talked about VT advantage. How about if you use something like Microsoft Live Communications Server? Do you anything about the integration and configuration needs between Cisco routers, switches if I am deploying a beast like Microsoft Live Communication servers ?

Thanks !

I'm not real familiar with Live Communications Server. From my understanding, it can be integrated with the Cisco Prescence server via SIP. In that case, you would want to make sure that the SIP traffic is classified, marked, and honored as control traffic across the network. The recommended DSCP marking for control traffic is CS3. To prioritize the video traffic used by LCS, you would need to see which ports are being used and mark traffic based on these ports as AF41.

Brandon