Views
Helpful
Replies

E1 Compression

nileshKahale
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All ,

I am littel confused about E1 output after compression.

Actually i am working at Call Center where i have Nortel Passport 7480.My E1 line is terminated at Passport 7480 & that Passport E1 is connected with Avaya Device(EPABX).

Now as per my official documents , when my voice call & data goes out of passport , my E1 bandwidth is 1724Kbps & i am confused about this 1724 figure , What is the calculation of this 1724Kbps.

Please revert

3 Replies 3

paolo bevilacqua
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

The number does not brings anything evident so you should ask nortel about it.

Now, what that has to do with cisco stuff ?

Hi p.bevilacqua

Thanks for reply.I just want to know how the compression happens...may if there will be any Cisco Device inplace of Nortel.

I want to know about the method of compression.

You compress voice with codecs. A largely used codec with good compromise between quality an compression, is G.729 at 16 kbps per call. Then you have to add IP transport overhead, however there are compression techniques for that to can be used on serial links. In practice, you can transport at least two E1 voice (60 calls) on a single E1 data circuit at 2 mpbs.

The problem in replacing other brands equipment with cisco is never technical, but political, as some customers are in the hands of their sales account from other vendors.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: