cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Switch Module for Catalyst 6509 Switch

vijay.sinha
Level 1
Level 1

I have a Catalyst 6509 Switch installed in our network.

We have following modules installed on the switch which is acting as an uplink modules for the switches in the closets or IDF's.

16 Pure SFM-mode 16 port 1000mb GBIC WS-X6816-GBIC

6 SFM-capable 16 port 10/100/1000mb RJ45 WS-X6516-GE-TX

Do these modules are efficient enough to act as uplinks for switches in closets.

Because I believe these modules are for uplinks for servers in Data Centers.

Does somebody have these modules installed in their Catalyst Switch 6509 and they can verify that these modules have enough power to act as uplinks for switches in closets or IDF's.

3 Replies 3

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi

Both modules are sold by Cisco as data centre/server farm blades which generally means they can be utilised for switch uplinks as well as connecting server.

WS-X6516-GE-TX has one 8Gbps channel to the switch fabric so there will be oversubscription ie. 16 x 1Gb ports with only 8Gbps connection to backplane.

WS-X6816-GBIC has dual 8Gbp channel connections so there should be no oversubcription on this module. This would be the better module to use for switch uplinks but it does depend on how many switches you are uplinking and what speeds the uplinks are running at.

HTH

Jon

Hi Jon

Thanks for reply and explanation. Per Cisco web site these modules are designed for Data Center & Server Farms. It doesn't say to use these modules for Uplink but I believe I have a limitation on SUP modules because I have Sup32 installed in these switches and they can't support any other modules apart from these like 6724 SFP module with 24 port gigabit uplinks or 6748 SFP module. These modules require SUP 720 modules.

So I guess the best bet for me is to use 6516 & 6816 modules for uplinking Switches even though they are optimize to be used for that purpose.

Let me know what do you think.

Hi

If you have Sup32 installed then it really doesn't make much of a difference as the sup32 only supports a shared 32Gbps bus architecture.

So the supervisor and not the blades will be your limiting factor.

HTH

Jon

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card