Views
Helpful
Replies

ASA 5510 Basic Configuration Help

cengel333
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I'm fairly new to Cisco Firewalls. My company recently switched from Watchguard to Cisco and I'm trying to configure our newly arrived Cisco ASA5510. However, I'm having some real problems with basic connectivity and configuration of the 5510.

I've got it setup in makeshift lab situation with 3 pc's all connected to it by crossover cables. PC #1 is connected to the Management Ethernet Port. PC #2 is setup to External Interface (Ethernet 0) and PC# 3 is setup to the Internal Interface (Ethernet 1).

All 3 interfaces have been setup on different network segments (External = 208.xxx.xxx.xxx & Internal 10.xxx.xxx.xxx) have been enabled and assigned Security Levels ( External = 0, Internal = 90)

I thought this would be all I needed to perform a basic connectivity test (given that the internal interface has a higher security level then the extrenal interface and each PC is on the network segment of the 5510 interface it is connected to).

On my WathGuard box, all I had to do was assign the IP address range for each interface and assign a default gateway for the firewall and I was good to go for basic connectivity. What am I missing?

I'm trying to get PC#3 (internal) to ping PC#2 (external) as a connectivity test but no dice. Each PC can ping the interface on the 5510 it is connected to but no further...not any other interface on the 5510 nor any PC connected to any other interface.

By the way, I couldn't figure out how to add a Default Gateway for the ASA 5510. However I did go into routing and added a default route (IP address 0.0.0.0) set the interface as external and set the IP address of PC#2 as the gateway.

Still no traffic passing through.

I don't have any NATing setup. Everything else is set to the default factory configuration. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Chris

2 Replies 2

mightymouse2045
Level 1
Level 1

here is a very basic config for you - this needs to be changed to what your IP's are etc, but it gives you an idea of what you need to be doing for starters :)

Cheers,

Peter

oops and the attachment would help :P

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: