cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

CCM Upgrade clarification need expert advise

charlotterob
Level 1
Level 1

My boss is telling me that I need to upgrade our cisco callmanager cluster, he is telling me that we need to upgrade our original cisco callmanager 4.2.1 to 4.2.3, now i know that he is been messing with this issue for a while, I want to make sure everything will go smoothly, although when i go to the publisher and HELP>ABout Cisco callmanager>select details this is what i got

Cisco Callmanager System Version:4.1(3)sr3a

Cisco Callmanager Administration Version:4.1(0.11)

Cisco Installation ID:4.1(3)sr3a

So who is right? According to this info Our cisco callmanager is not at 4.2.1? is cisco callmanager 4.1.(3)sr3a

Is there anyway to find out the exact Os version and patch currently installed in the callmanagerS?

Seems to me that the win-os-upgrade-k9.2000-4-2.exe was already applied to the ccm ?, based on the information that i have provided here what will be the best thing to do and the steps to proceed with the upgrade

thank you for your time

11 Replies 11

gogasca
Level 10
Level 10

So who is right? According to this info Our cisco callmanager is not at 4.2.1? is cisco callmanager 4.1.(3)sr3a

CORRECT (CCMAdmin never lies, hehe)

Check Help| Component Versions | Out of synch to make sure ALL servers in the cluster are running the same eversion

Is there anyway to find out the exact Os version and patch currently installed in the callmanagerS?

Go to C:/Utils and run mcsver.exe

It will bring up a Window

Or look for history.log which will indicate you all the cisco components installed previously.

Thank you very much gogasca, thats what i thought in ref to the cisco version, but he is my boss so i was kinda skeptical, but you have clarified my doubts.

When i checked the out of synch this is what i get

Software Component Server Version Installation ID

BulkAdministrationTool.exe 10.0.0.5 5.1(4a) 4.1(3)sr3a

Wh i checked the mcsver.exe this is what i get

OS Image 2000.4.1

OS Service Release 2000.4.2sr6

OS Upgrade 2000.4.2

SQL2K Service Pack SP4

gogasca, based on this information what are the steps that i have to follow to upgrade ccm to the next version (if,so what version of ccm will be upgrading to) and what will be next OS Upgrade that we have applied to the CCM prior upgrading the CCM, once again thank you very much for your help

OK so your current OS is 2000.4.2 sr6, you have several options regarding the OS:

1) Upgrade only to the latest SR for your train, that is SR16, you can download it from this link:

http://www.cisco.com/cgi-bin/tablebuild.pl/cmva-3des

You need this file:

win-OS-Upgrade-K9.2000-4-2sr16.exe

Operating System Upgrade Service Release

2) Upgrade to the next train that is OS 2000.4.3a, and then upgrade to the latest SR for that train that is SR9. The first file can be found on this link:

http://www.cisco.com/cgi-bin/tablebuild.pl/cmva-3des-archive

You need this file:

win-OS-Upgrade-K9.2000-4-3a.exe

Operating System Upgrade

The SR9 is on this link:

You need this file:

win-OS-Upgrade-K9.2000-4-3a-sr9.exe

Operating System Upgrade Service Release Version

3) You can upgrade to the latest OS that at this moment is 2000.4.4a and then upgrade to the latest SR for that train. The first file can be found on this link:

You need this file:

win-OS-Upgrade-K9.2000-4-4a.exe

Operating System Upgrade

The latest SR for this train is SR5 which can be found on the same link. You need this file:

win-OS-Upgrade-K9.2000-4-4a-sr5.exe

Operating System Upgrade Service Release

For the CCM version you can choose your upgrade path with the compatibility matrix:

http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/voice/c_callmg/ccmcomp.htm

Once you have decided which upgrade to follow we can send you documents about that upgrade. Most of the documents can be found on this link:

http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/voice/c_callmg/index.htm

HTH

//Jorge

First of all Jorge, thank you very much for your help and time you took to tell me how to proceed with this upgrade, I will do what you told me to do, i will download all of the OS files as you told me and apply them in the order you told me to. I will first start with the publisher and then the subscriber. Of course i will backup our info first using bars.

Now so once i have installed all of the OS files to get our ccm up to date, which CCM version do you recommend to go and where can i download this file.

We have a ccm cluster, publisher and a subscriber along with unity. We have about 60 users using 7940 and 7960 phones.

Again Thank you very much for your time and help,

Latest available in CCO is 4.2(3)

So if you want to have the latest version of CCM available in CCO you can try that one.

But first download 4.2(1) install it in both PUB and SUB once u are in 4.2(1) download 4.2(3) and install it also in both servers.

Finally download ciscocm.4-2-3-sr1.exe

and run it on both servers also.

From here you can download it.

http://www.cisco.com/cgi-bin/tablebuild.pl/callmgr-42

I would like to thank you jorge and gogasca for your time and help.

For clarification only: So once i have updated the OS in both servers, I will proceed to upgrade our callmanager cluster starting from the publisher and then the subscriber, and I will do it this way.

I will first install

-ciscocm-ffu.4-2-1.exe

Then I will install

-ciscocm-ffu.4-2-3.exe

Then I will install

-ciscocm.4-2-3-sr1.exe

My other question is

Does Cisco Callmanager will automatically update our configuration information with every upgrade, or at some point we have to manually restore our data into the cisco callmanager.

Thank you again for your time and help, your help is very appreciated

Hello,

Please take special note (GOnz already mentioned this in his post). You should upgrade to 4.2.1 on both Pub and Sub before attempting an upgrade to 4.2.3. If the upgrade goes smooth, you wont have to restore any data as the data is automatically migrated.

Sankar Nair
UC Solutions Architect
Pacific Northwest | CDW
CCIE Collaboration #17135 Emeritus

Thank you for your response thisisshanky and thank you as well for your time and help. Well thats what I wanted to clarify whether the data will migrate automatically or not, yes thats how I will do the upgrade to 4.2.1 in both pub/sub first then I will proceed to upgrade to 4.2.3 in both pub/sub and then I will finally upgrade to 4-2-3-sr1 in both pub/sub.

I have another question in reference to this type of upgrade, will the configuration will migrate as well? meaning that after each upgrade the ccm will restore its original configuration state as well?

Thank you very much for your time and help,

Yes, the configuration will be migrated, pretty much you only will need to re-run the plugins, for example, if you are integrated with AD then re-run the AD plugin, also the AC plugin, etc.

First of all , thank you to all of you for your advise, time and desire to help me with this upgrade.

Jorge, so basically i will have re-install the plugins right?, now once i have re-run the pluggins will the config of for example the auto attendant console will be auto configured?

Thank you again for your time

Also when i do the OS upgrade on our ccm cluster do i have to stop both callmanagers. Or while i do the update in the publisher it doesnt matter if the subscriber is running or it will be good while i do this upgrade to stop the services in both callmanagers?

What i was planning to do is to gradually and sequencially apply the OS/CCM upgrades, meaning

for example if i have 2 OS upgrades A and B to apply to the cluster i will apply first OS upgrade A to the publisher then Apply OS upgrade A to the subscriber then Appply OS B to the publisher then Apply OS B to the subscriber is go up gradually until the CM cluster is completly upgraded.

thank you for your time

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: