Views
Helpful
Replies

PIX and Dynamic Protocol

iqbalkhan
Level 1
Level 1

Hi

I have 10 sites are connect to head office. connectivity are server--Pix--router. Now If all router running dynamic protocol but firewall are connect to the router static router.

now my question is in this scenario server can communicate other site. or for this i need router and pix both need dynamic protocol or redistribute in router..

example: router is 2811 and pix is 501. now if 2811 router run ospf or eigrp then pix 501 can communicate with router ??.

pls clear to me.

Thanks

biplob

8 Replies 8

m.sir
Level 7
Level 7

PIX 501 ver 6.3 supports dynamic routing ...

OSPF and RIP .. EIGRP is not supported

Check following link for more info

http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/iaabu/pix/pix_sw/v_63/config/bafwcfg.htm#wp1129432

M.

Hi

This is not ans of my question. i know that which protol support that. remember my question is if all router are running EIGRP then pix is connect router by static router then server can communicate each other ??.

or need to change router and pix running ospf or need to each router redistribute.

Hello,

I can't really tell what your question is, but the pix doesn't need to run a routing protocol if it default routes to your router ( and the server default routes to it). You would just need some way of making your routing network know about those networks - you could run ospf on the pix and have it done that way, or static route from your router to the pix and then redistribute your static routes into ospf.

--Jason

Hi

Thanks to all. For eassy understand all i clear my ques.

-----now all of of my router running static route and pix to router default route. Now If I change all router to run EIGRP/OSPF then also need to run EIGRP/OSPF my pix ? or only default route can continue. just this -----

Now I think understand my question.. so pls help to clear this issue

Thanks

Biplob

Hi

Waiting but not get anwser from anyone expert !\

thanks

mark.hodge
Level 1
Level 1

I *think* what you are asking is can you run dynamic routing through the PIX.

i.e.

Router--PIX--(internet)--PIX-Router

If this is the case, then you will need to setup an IPSEC VPN tunnel between the two PIX devices. Then create another GRE tunnel between the two Routers, running inside the IPSEC tunnel. Then the routers will see each other as if on a point-2-point connection, over which your routing protocols will communicate happily.

Hi

again

Pc-Pix-Router=============Router--Pix---Pc

Now I have Pix to router==default route

and router to router=== static route

now if I want to change

Pix to router== default route

router to router=dynamic protocl

Then any problem ???? and pc to pc can ping ??

Thats is my quary. I Think all expert can understand this and want answer this purporse only.

Thnaks

Biplob

As long as the two routers can communicate via broadcast traffic, or through other routers then yes this will work. In fact you could run OSPF dynamic routing thoughout. However the trafic would be unencrypted.

If however the routers are connected to the internet, then you would need to use an exteral routing protocol such as BGP, which is where my knowledge falls down.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card