cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Switch Failure

sly007
Level 1
Level 1

I implemented VLAN in my network and make the 5 switches to have the default vlan 1. But i discover from time to time that when i launch the Cisco Network Assistant, it shows "Switch Failure, can not connect and Switch Unreachable". Ping still goes through even at this situation. Please how can i solve this problem.

4 Replies 4

upendra07
Level 1
Level 1

dear

can you give me full detail of switches & network setup.

Oh thanks for your prompt response.

I connected the switches end to end, and implemented default vlan on all of them, gave them ip address and usernames. Users are connected to the switches, and are able to log on without authentications.

Now each time i use Cisco Network assistant to log into the switches, on the monitor tab, it shows switch failure, and then it shows the particular one to be unreachable.

But when i ping it, it replies, and users are still able to access the network resources.

Craig Balfour
Level 1
Level 1

Cisco Network Assistant (CNA) connects to the web interface on the switch (known as the Cisco Device Manager) to do its work so this service needs to be running for CNA to work. The error message you are getting could mean that CNA is unable to connect to the web server on the switch.

Make sure that the web interface is running by pointing your web browser at the IP address of the switch and login with the same username and password you are using for CNA.

If the web interface is not running, or you are unable to authenticate successfully, telnet into the switch and configure the web service as follows:

ip http server

ip http authentication enable

This enables Cisco Device Manager access using no username and the enable password.

Thank you very much, this solves the problem. At last, I can administratively manage the switches.

Thank you once again.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card