Views
Helpful
Replies

WAAS and "Other traffic"

dlumsden
Level 1
Level 1

Hi there,

Recently I have deployed WAAS for just one site, and I am a bit concerned as majority of the traffic falls into "Other Traffic" category. I've discovered this is just a file transfer between XP desktops and a W2003 server.

Why it's categorized as Other?

Thanks

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Correct - that would be SMB traffic. Prior to 4.0.7, it should be classified as part of the File-System application. From 4.0.7 on, it is classified as part of the WAFS application.

Can you please confirm that you have classifiers that cover ports 139 and 445. If so, which application is the classifier associated with?

Zach

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Zach Seils
Level 7
Level 7

Douglas,

The "other" application category is used for traffic that is not matched by a specific policy. Can you provide some additional information on what application protocol is being used for the file transfer?

Thanks,

Zach

Zach,

They're accessing documents from the fileserver in our central location as mapped drive in My Computer, so I believe it's just SMB traffic isn't it?

thanks,

D.

Correct - that would be SMB traffic. Prior to 4.0.7, it should be classified as part of the File-System application. From 4.0.7 on, it is classified as part of the WAFS application.

Can you please confirm that you have classifiers that cover ports 139 and 445. If so, which application is the classifier associated with?

Zach

Thank you very much! Port 445 wasn't covered, now the statistics are created correctly.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: