cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Content engine DNS question

huangedmc
Level 3
Level 3

We're using the content engines to cache web & ftp traffic.

If we have multiple DNS servers listed, does the content engine use them from top-down (if not found from 1st, go to next), or in rotation (like round-robin)??

We have multiple domains that require multiple DNS servers to work together, and there are DNS records that only each DNS server knows about.

The server I listed on top has records that are more frequently requested, so I'm hoping it's the top-down fashion.

2 Replies 2

sbilgi
Level 5
Level 5

Content Engines with ACNS 5.1 software can intercept DNS requests that have been issued to DNS servers (forwarders or recursive) that traverse the interception device. Upon receiving a request, the Content Engine transmits that response to the client if it has a current cached response. For more information refer

http://cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/conntsw/ps491/products_configuration_guide_chapter09186a00801cc94b.html#wp1108669

Hi,

To answer your question, the CE will use the first DNS server in the configuration, and would use the second one, only if the first fails to answer to a query; then the third if the second fails to answer the same query and so on.

As you said, you need this to work top-down fashion, and it is working like that.

I hope this helps. Thanks!

Regards,

Jose Quesada.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: