Cisco IOS Upgrade

Unanswered Question
Apr 10th, 2007

Hi I've recently being given a couple of Cisco 2600 routers, by my employer, which I 8intend to use for my CCNA labs. However, a show ver indicated the routers run on a IOS 11.3. How can I get an upgrade for these routers? Any help will be much appreciated.

I have this problem too.
0 votes
Overall Rating: 0 (0 ratings)
mark.hodge Tue, 04/10/2007 - 07:37

You can only legitimately upgrade the IOS version if you have a SmartNet or equivelent maintenance contract. Also the version of software supported is depencendent on memory capabilities of the device ( both flash and RAM ).

scottmac Tue, 04/10/2007 - 09:52

A one-time update / upgrade license can be purchased through a Cisco partner as well (like CDW :

For the difference in cost, chances are the SmartNet contract would be a better deal.

As mentioned, pay attention to the memory / flash available versus the requirement of the IOS version / feature set you intend to update/upgrade to.

Good Luck

cyberpimp28 Wed, 04/11/2007 - 06:45

Thanks Guys for the response. What is the process of getting the SmartNet account?

srue Wed, 04/11/2007 - 06:59

if the router/model has reached end of support status, you won't be able to get smartnet on it anyway. just get the onetime upgrade license if possible. but like the previous posters have said, make sure you have enough flash/ram with whatever you decide to do. If you post here how much flash/ram you have, we might be able to suggest something suitable to your model. (ie post the output from the "show version" command)

mark.hodge Wed, 04/11/2007 - 09:27

I have always purchased as a representative of a business, through a Cisco BP, So I am not 100% sure how an individual would go about it. There are a multitude of different contract types, SmartNet can include hardware replacement with an onsite engieer, or advance shipment etc. I have found this UK site to be helpfull with deciding what to get. Use the SMARTnet calculator and type in your device, prices can be listed in different currencies.

This Discussion