Lightweight and IOS AP?

Answered Question
Apr 10th, 2007
User Badges:

I have been working with IOS based autonomous APs for a some time now. However, need to have following questions clarified regarding Lightweight models. I have few of these APs

a. AIR-AP1242AG-E-K9 (IOS ver. 12.3(8)

b. AIR-LAP1242AG-P-K9 (IOS ver. 12.3(11)

I cannot seem to determine any difference between the two APs functionality as far as configuration options are considered. I understand that IOS autonomous APs do not connect to WLCs (by default).

a. I am able to configure RADIUS on both

b. I am able to configure SSIDs on both

c. I am able to assign an IP to both the APs for management

Questions then:

1. Can Lighwieght AP work independantly of the wireless LAN controllers? The documentation says they cannot.

2. Is it IOS dependant? i.e. can LAP be made to work like an autonomous AP using an appropriate IOS?

3. If LAP works just as IOS AP then why does Cisco offers them under different product IDs

Thanks.

Correct Answer by Rob Huffman about 10 years 3 months ago

Hi Muhammad,

You have done your homework here :) Hopefully I can answer your questions.

1. Can Lighwieght AP work independantly of the wireless LAN controllers? The documentation says they cannot.

The LWAPP AP (LAP) cannot operate independantly of the WLC

2. Is it IOS dependant? i.e. can LAP be made to work like an autonomous AP using an appropriate IOS?

Yes, an LAP can be converted to Autonomous.Have a look at this doc;

Reverting the Access Point Back to Autonomous Mode

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/wireless/ps430/prod_technical_reference09186a00804fc3dc.html#wp161272

3. If LAP works just as IOS AP then why does Cisco offers them under different product IDs

I think the difference is in ease of use and Installation only, seeing that the AP can be converted either way.

Hope this helps!

Rob

Overall Rating: 5 (2 ratings)
Correct Answer
Rob Huffman Wed, 04/11/2007 - 05:10
User Badges:
  • Super Red, 40000 points or more
  • Hall of Fame,

Founding Member

• Cisco Designated VIP,

2017 IP Telephony, Unified Communications

Hi Muhammad,

You have done your homework here :) Hopefully I can answer your questions.

The LWAPP AP (LAP) cannot operate independantly of the WLC

Yes, an LAP can be converted to Autonomous.Have a look at this doc;

Reverting the Access Point Back to Autonomous Mode

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/wireless/ps430/prod_technical_reference09186a00804fc3dc.html#wp161272

I think the difference is in ease of use and Installation only, seeing that the AP can be converted either way.

Hope this helps!

Rob

Actions

This Discussion

Trending Topics: Other Wireless Mobility

client could not be authenticated
Network Analysis Module (NAM) Products
Cisco 6500 nam
reason 440 driver failure
Cisco password cracker
Cisco Wireless mode